cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to install BEWS or System Recovery on a NO Active Directory environment?

vfernandez
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi guys:

One of our customers has requested us to install BEWS 2010 with DLO on his environment (All Windows; BEWS Server planned to be a Dell NAS NX200 with storage server edition -compatible I checked- and end users Win 7); there's no Active Directory on environment, a small one... So on BEWS requirements page we don't find AD as a requirement, but it can't be installed without it!!! Or can it be? If not, what about System Recovery, which in the other hand, seams not to be compatible with the Windows Storage Server 2008...

Have some of you experienced something like this, and if so, how you handle it?

The main issue on customer side is to backup the desktops & laptops on NAS

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You may install BE2010 in a workgroup environment but for DLO you need a domain it will not work

in workgroup

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I believe that the statement that DLO needs to work in a domain is factually incorrect! It can, and if you read the TN below it will detail the requirements for it...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH57327

Therefore you can run BE and DLO in a workgroup!

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To be a little more specific, DLO needs a domain database but the workstations can be in a workgroup as the article priovided by Craig states DLO Requires Domain accounts. Which means you would still need a Domain even if not all the systems are configured in it.

teiva-boy
Level 6

System Recovery will work fine without a Domain.  DLO is frankly a dead product.!

vfernandez
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Finally we went to the System Recovery approach; however, the central/management console doesn´t support the Dell Windows NAS version, so we upgrade it to Standard Server 2008...

I must say we experience problems with the SR system: as all data goes through the LAN (10/100) it tooks so long... also we receive failure notifications when trying to backup My Documents... so we are always doing full images...

In my personal Workstation, on a local USB external HD I have exactly the same problem...

It seams like SR 2011 still needs some improvements...