cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to run BackupExec 12.5 unattended?

BadMrFrosty
Level 3
What I mean is, I am on day 16 of 60 of my evaluation of BackupExec, and it seems like every day when I come in there is a different reason why it couldn't back something up.

Some issues I am having are:

-The remote client for Windows service stops running at random
-'Communication errors'
-Differential backups that backup EVERYTHING every single day.
-I can't figure out how to setup grooming for media sets so the media sets just keep growing until they fill up my hard disks.

I am trying to figure out if anyone has actually had success at getting this thing working on a day to day basis.

Is it possible to get this thing to the point where you don't have to login to the server every single day?

Does anyone have any tips?

thanks,
BMF

3 REPLIES 3

Lively
Level 5
I have to do loggin every day to a spreadsheet, but besides that I haven't had any jobs erroring out for about a year that were not hardware related.  Strike that, since a recent SP update my Exchange job sits at updating catalogs for hours while running Incrementals.  Kind of a known spotty bug.

So you can get it set up.  Have you gone through the admin guide?

The media sets filling your drive space is all about getting the correct overwrite protection setup for the media sets.  once that is setup you really do not have to touch it again. 

BadMrFrosty
Level 3
I guess what I don't understand is, I'm backing up about 14 systems, am I supposed to create a different backup to disk folder for each thing i'm backing up, or is it okay to just make 1?

Lively
Level 5
It depends how your backups are setup and how much you want to dig down. 

I have a folder for each server and a job for each server. 

That way i can see how big the backups are for each server and it easily separates the files for when the duplicate jobs go off after the Backup to Disk is completed. 

I don't see why you couldn't have 1 folder, but it would be confusing to manage from how we have our environment setup.