cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is laptop / desktop option required?

Armin
Level 3
I'm planning to purchase BE12.5 for win server.  I have one server running win2008 and nine XP client computers to backup.  A guy said me that I'll have to purchase the ten license Laptop & Desktop option since server license allows for 5 only.  Another guy says that DLO option is something totally different and in my case, I don't want to use it.
I thought that the server license allows to install beremote.exe on client PCs & that's that.

Can someone please explain me if the DLO option is necessary?

thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lyon
Level 5
Server license does allow you to backup remote XP machines without purchasing extra Remote agent license or DLO licenses.
Installing the Backup Exec remote agent allow you to protec the entire workstation.
Dlo agent does NOT protect the entire workstation.  It only protect user documents and outlook PST files. It also allow for file versioning and users to restore thier own data.
Some use the combination for the Backup Exec remote agent and DLO together.

Lyon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

lyon
Level 5
Server license does allow you to backup remote XP machines without purchasing extra Remote agent license or DLO licenses.
Installing the Backup Exec remote agent allow you to protec the entire workstation.
Dlo agent does NOT protect the entire workstation.  It only protect user documents and outlook PST files. It also allow for file versioning and users to restore thier own data.
Some use the combination for the Backup Exec remote agent and DLO together.

Lyon

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

DLO option is required to Backup the User Data on a Network Location, I think you will be able to Backup the XP Machines installing the Remote Agent, as you wont require License for Remote agent if you are installing it on Windows XP Machines, however that is just for the file system. If you have any application like SQL on Windows XP Machine, you will require a Remote Agent License for SQL.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/245171
No license is required to protect Windows Workstation computer operating systems prior to Windows Vista with the Remote Agent for Windows Servers (RAWS)

Marksw
Level 5
You need agents for every remote machine You backup or you can use the DLO option and change the direction to another folder that You create on the machines

Mark