cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Exchange Agent also a remote agent?

Administrator1
Level 3
Hi

Sorry for the maybe stupid question but I am wondering if I can backup an Exchange 2003 Server remotely by using the Exchange agent.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/258982.htm explains "How to perform a local installation of the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers or the Advanced Open File Option".

Does the RANT32 directory include also the Exchange agent (and other agents)? Or are there additional steps required?

Thx
Gerhard
7 REPLIES 7

Bin_Fang_2
Level 4
You might want to check this link for Exchange Agent installation:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/240201

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
As the doc reference points out:
The Exchange Agent is actually installed on the BE media server.
But, you still install a remote agent on the Exchange server.

The Exchange Agent license INCLUDES ONE remote agent license; you do not have to buy one for the remote Exchange server.

(As a side note, IF the BE server and the Exchange server are on the same physical box (why would you??), you can use the remote agent that comes with the Exchange agent on a remote server)

Remember - if you're doing an Information Store backup, do NOT use the AOFO.

Cheers

Administrator1
Level 3
Hi

> You might want to check this link for Exchange Agent installation:
>
>http://support.veritas.com/docs/240201

Yes, but this assumes that BE server and Exchange are on one machine, doesn't it? This is not my case. Exchange and BE server are on two different computers and I am wondering how to instanll the Exchange agent on the Exchange server.

Gerhard

Message was edited by:
Administrator at TelecooperationMessage was edited by:
Administrator at Telecooperation

Administrator1
Level 3
Hi Robert

It seems that the point of my question is not made clear. So I try to reformulate my question:

I have Server A with Backup Exec installed and second Server B with Exchange. How do I install (do I have to?) the Exhange agent on Server B.

Both servers are Microsoft Server 2003. For very long time remote installations through the Setup program failed on Servers 2003 (known bug). I do not know if it is working now. That's why I look for alternative way to install the Exchange agent on a remote server.

Hope my problem is now clear.

PS: I read the link again from the other response and now I am completely confused... Do I have to install on any Exchange Server Backup Exec to be able to install the Exchange agent locally? Exchange agent can't be isntalled remoetly?

GerhardMessage was edited by:

Administrator1
Level 3
Hi

I think i found all answers to my questions in http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4365509?

Thx
GerhardMessage was edited by:

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
you don't actually "install" the BE Exchange Agent.
You add the serial no. for the agent to the BE server and it "turns on" the functionality.

You DO NOT install the Exchange agent on your Server B (the Exchange server).
You DO install the normal BE Remote Agent on Server B.

Yes, there can be problems pushing the "normal" remote agents from a 2003 BE media server to 2003 'remote' servers. But, that's another issue.
AND - there are other discussion threads and tech papers dealing with that. - just search the forum.

Cheers

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
As this question comes up over and over again, I wonder if it's better to think of it like this - there is no Exchange Agent. Nor is there an SQL agent, and so on. Just a remote agent for Windows servers. (I'm excluding things like the Mac agent and the Linux agent for simplicity).

When you buy a remote agent license, you unlock the ability to backup one remote server.
When you buy the Exchange agent license, you unlock the ability to backup one Exchange server.
When you buy the SQL agent license, you unlock the ability to back up one SQL server

...and so on.
Sometimes I feel the terminology used by Symantec (and Veritas before them) is what causes the misunderstanding.