cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a "Document ID: 274119" for Backup Exec 9.1?

Marek_Drummond
Level 2
I've got the exact problem as mentioned in the above article for the errors :

After changing the VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) server information like the Server name or the Domain name and rebooting the Server, the Backup Exec Device and Media Service fails to start, with the error:

But the solution is for 10 and the recommended option to select doesn't exist in 9.1 - can anyone help?
Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
See

http://support.veritas.com/docs/267799
http://support.veritas.com/docs/265051

for starters

There are 10 pages of hits if you go to the search page and enter "The database specified does not exist" and filter for v9.1 and TechNotes only

Marek_Drummond
Level 2
Thanks, I'd seen both of those and they aren't the issue, whereas the document i've referenced is exactly my problem, only the fix is for v10, so my question isn't about finding answers, it's about finding that document for v9.1

Any ideas?
Thanks

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello Marek,

You could try out the following:

1. Open Regedit.

2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Veritas\BEDatabase and check the name of the server under "Server Database Server Name" key.

3. If it still shows the old server name, Delete the old server name and type in the new server name. Close registry editor.

4. Then try starting the Device and Media service.

Hope it helps!

victor_shmeliov
Level 2
Yes, in 9.x the exact Error Message is
Error 1065: "The database specified does not exist."

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023

Here's what happens.  After changing the Backup Exec server information like the Server name or the Domain name and rebooting the Server, the Backup Exec Device and Media Service fails to start, with the error:  Error 1065: The database specified does not exist.
Changing the workgroup name does not cause the Backup Exec Services to fail.

The following error is listed in the System Event log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023

The signs of this happening are:  The Backup Exec Device and Media Service terminated with the following error:
The database specified does not exist.

The cause of this issue is a mismatch of the server name that is encoded in the Backup Exec 10.0 database with the current server name.

To resolve the issue, run BEUtility.exe from \Program Files [on mine]\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT.

Click All Media Servers. If the new server name does not appear in the upper right pane, right-click All Media Servers, and click New Media Server.

Enter the new server name and click OK.

Then the server name should be displayed in the upper right pane. Right-click on the server name. Click Update Configuration for New Media Server Name.

Enter the name of the new domain in the Current domain name field. The new server name will be automatically displayed in the Current Media Server name field.
Enter the old domain name in the Previous Domain name field and the old server name in the Previous Media Server name field.
Click OK.

The Backup Exec Services will stop during this process and will start successfully after this.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

@Victor

Did you notice that the last previous post in this thread was over two 1/2 years ago??

Andrew_Wiggin
Level 3
see above

victor_shmeliov
Level 2
 I did not, Ken.   Surprisingly, I still run this version and was looking for a similar issue recently.  That being said, the solution was actually not given, so I'm glad I could help, even if I'm 2 years, 5 months and 29 days too late.