cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to automate or schedule Vault update?

echosummet
Level 3

Hi all,

I am setting up Backup Exec 12.5 to back up a library that is in a remote location. I do not have physical access to the library so am reliant on the local IT staff to manage tape rotations etc. 

I have 2 media sets, a 10 wk and a 6 mo. retention. My plan is to run the reports Move Media To Vault and Retrieve From Vault weekly and have the local support folks use that list to pull tapes to store offsite and return expired tapes.

The issue I am running into is it seems I have to manually run the Update vault using wizard feature to get the logical tapes placed into the vault. 

Is there anyway to automate that? What I would like is for the report to run, then move all those listed in the report to the vault automatically. As it is now, I have to log into the server and run the wizard manually.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have not come across a way to automate the vault movement.

echosummet
Level 3

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think so but thought I would verify.

Am I going about this the right way? It seems there would be an easier way to logically protect the tapes. Would there be any down side to not moving them to vault and just having the tapes rotated?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The tapes are protected automatically if you have set the OPP correctly.  They would not be overwritten even if they are in the library and the OPP has not expired.

If you are dealing with different set of tapes, you can just remove one set and replace them with another set, and then do a scan/inventory to update the slot information.  There is no need to use vaults if you don't want to.  Tapes which are detected in the library would be marked online while those which are not detected in the library would be marked as offline.