cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to move DLO data to tape?

Bill_Gist
Level 3
If we start using Desktop and Laptop Option (a.k.a. DLO) to protect the data on our workstations, can we move the data from the DLO file store onto tape and then be able to restore from tape onto the original workstation? Or would the restore be a two step process?
5 REPLIES 5

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

DLO can only be used to backup the data to Local User Data Folder(LUDF) and Network User Data Folder(NUDF). Data cannot be backed up directly to tape using DLO

Thank You,

Shweta

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
All you can do is install a remote agent for Windows Systems in the machine acting as DLO destination and define backup tastks on it as usual

Regards

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello Bill,

Please let us know if you have any queries!

Joel_McMartin
Not applicable
None of these responses seem to address Bill's question.

Let me ask it this way:
Can i back up the DLO server and storage locations onto a tape using BackupExec? Are there any special procedures for doing this?

What good will this tape backup do me? That is, can I browse this backup and restore a single file? Since, I assume, the file will be encrypted, can I just restore it to the original user for them to decrypt/use? If not, does it mean I need to do a complete restore of the Storage Location/ DLO server in order to restore this one file?

What if I would like to restore a file from a former user or one who has a different SID? Is this possible? What would the steps be?

Bill_Gist
Level 3
Hi Joel,

> None of these responses seem to address Bill's question.
From my point of view, they did answer my question. But it wasn't the answer that I wanted. I'll continue here with the way I understand it now.

> Let me ask it this way:
> Can i back up the DLO server and storage locations
> onto a tape using BackupExec? Are there any special
> procedures for doing this?

You could make a backup of the DLO server onto tape. But what you'd see in the Backup Exec restore library is the same set of stuff that you can see if you go into Windows Explorer on the DLO server

> What good will this tape backup do me?

This kind of backup would only be useful in a disaster recovery scenario, where what you really wanted to do was recover the entire DLO server.

> That is, can
> I browse this backup and restore a single file?
> Since, I assume, the file will be encrypted, can I
> just restore it to the original user for them to
> decrypt/use? If not, does it mean I need to do a
> complete restore of the Storage Location/ DLO server
> in order to restore this one file?

You would only be able to recover the single file, after you had the DLO server going again.

> What if I would like to restore a file from a former
> user or one who has a different SID? Is this
> possible? What would the steps be?

This last part is beyond my understanding. I've no experience with DLO.

My understanding of this comes from the my thinking that this situation is similar to (and a bit more complicated than) the situation we are in, where we backup our servers and workstations to B2D folders, and then from there to tape. The Backup Exec provides a way to "duplicate" a backup job so that we can move it from the folder on disk onto tape, and once it gets to tape, we can browse in the restore library, and see the files that were available on the original server.

But they haven't provided this kind of thing for DLO.

Another thing... since I marked this question as "answered", I'm guessing that the Symantec folks aren't monitoring this thread anymore. You may need to post your question in a new thread if you want them to chime in.

Good Luck.