cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue restoring VM differential backup using BE 2010 R3 with Dedupe disk folder

sbishop
Level 3

We are trying to implement a dedupe appliance (HP StoreOnce) and i'm having an issue trying to restore a VMware virtual machine that has been backed up to disk (dedupe folder). I can restore the full backup VM with no issues. I cannot restore the differential backup.

i've duplicated my jobs to tape and i can restore those without any issues. Has anyone seen any issues trying to restore incremental/differential VM backups from dedupe folder?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Sbishop

3 REPLIES 3

lmosla
Level 6

What error occurs? 

It looks like this issue was resolved with a patch.   http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH208601

Run Live Updates to make sure Backup Exec is fully updated to the most current level: Backup Exec 2010R3 sp4.  After updates are installed push out RAWS to the remote servers so that they are at the same version at the media server.

sbishop
Level 3

I am running 2010 R3 SP4, there is no updates available.

Here is a summary,

i've created a policy which has a full backup job of 1 vm and differential job of that VM to a disk folder. I also added to that policy a duplicate to tape for both of those jobs.

I've tested full backup of the VM and restore of the VM. no issue

i've tested restoring a differential job from tape...no issue it ask for full tape and differential tape.

i've tested restoring from disk full backup. no issue....the issue i'm having is when i try and select the differential job..it will only restore the differential job (not the full then the differential..so the vm can't boot, there is no windows)

i've also tried create seperate backup to disk folder, 1 for full and 1 full differential, no change.

any other suggestions? thanks

lmosla
Level 6

I am wondering if it is a similiar issue as discussed and resolved here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/restoring-vms-differential-backup