cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Backing up samba shares

oussama
Level 3
Hello,
I need to take backup of a disk shared by samba from Redhat Enterprise Linux server, my samba server is not joined to the domain and the authentication method is set to user.
I followed the instructions in the doc http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/254193.htm to configure backup job for this disk, however, I am stuck on the credential used by the backup agent, I tried all the accounts without success.
Any idea about the credential to use in order to access to the user-defined resource and take its backup.
cheers
Oussama

6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Create a new account Root In backup exec with the credentials of the Linux account  .. You can do that by going to network --Logon account --New

oussama
Level 3

Thanks for your answer RahulG, do you mean by that a Windows account? shopuld I add it to local admin group? should I assign him the same password as the root on the Linux box?
thanks for your feedback

Symanticus
Level 6
yes please, i also stuck in the backup operation of SAMBA shared drive :|

I've created beoper user in my Windows AD to with the member of domain admin group but still failed.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
no you dont need to create account in windows . You just need to add your linux credentials in backup exec

oussama
Level 3
I have added root to BE, but no chance.
any idea ?
thanks

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
when making the selection make sure you select the root accont to backup the share.