cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Dell Tape library

neobepmat
Level 2

Hi everybody,
I've set up a process to IMPORT a media from the portal to the TL.
Despite of the media, the process always tries to import it into the SLOT n.7, even if full (generating errors of course).
Any suggestion?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you right-click on a slot and select import, it will always import to that slot and no other slot.  If you want to import to the first available slot, then you would have to run my script.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/import-tape-first-empty-slot-robotic-library

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can select the slots to which you want to import media, while configuring the import job. If those slots are full, then the media in those slots will be moved to portal and BE will ask you to insert new media into portal for importing after the completion of exporting.

Reagrds...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you right-click on a slot and select import, it will always import to that slot and no other slot.  If you want to import to the first available slot, then you would have to run my script.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/import-tape-first-empty-slot-robotic-library

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If those slots are full, then the media in those slots will be moved to portal and BE will ask you to insert new media into portal for importing after the completion of exporting.

If the slot is full, the import will fail.  It will never work the way you describe.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@ pkh: From BE ADMIN GUIDE: The Backup Exec import media job fully supports robotic libraries with portals.When this job is run, the slots you selected are checked for media. If media is found, it is exported to the portals. After all the media has been exported, you are prompted to insert new media into the portal so it can be imported. This process continues until all of the requested media has been imported into the robotic library.

Thanks....

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...but if the slot is full, then it's going to fail. It's not going to send it back to the portal and ask for MORE media to be inserted.

Also, from the explanation given, if a tape is in the portal, it gets pulled into the robotic magazine and moved to that slot...how can another tape be put into it from the designated slot? The tape would have to be moved out of the slot first INTO the portal, then removed before the imported tape can be put into the portal to be put into the designated slot.

From what I understand, the OP is saying it fails even with a tape in the drive...that means there is something wrong with either the library or the import job created.