Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with localized Mailbox-Folders and GRT-Restore

Inti
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I just stepped into the Trap with Backup Exec and migrated Mailboxes from pre Exchange 2003 with localized Folder-Names.

To summarize: old Mailboxes, which were created before a certain patchlevel (I think is was something like Exchange 2000 an SP3) use localized Names like "Höchste Hierarchiestufe des IS" instead of "Top of Information Store".

If you try to restore single Mail-Items in such an environment, you can to so, but the Mails never appear on Client-Side. 

In my case (I used redirection to another Mailbox) they even got placed in the Root-Folder (see Screenshot) inside a Folder just named "1" .

This seems so happen from all Versions from 9 to 2012.

Is there any way tro "force" Backup Exec to redirect all mails to a certain Subfolder, e.g. "Restore" inside the Target-Mailbox ?

I think, this would solve my Issue.

The Mailboxes will get migrated from Exchange 5.5 to 2003 to 2010 soon and I hope, this will update the Folder Names as well. But I need to show how to restore single Items with the currently implemented backup-solution until migration is done.

Does anybode have a hint ?

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

This was unfortaunately caused by a Microsoft change in language handling making it not really a BE issue, even though it affactes BE.

We have had support cases on this on have had to use different fiddly solultions for each scenario.

Some that might work but no guarantee: 

1) if restoring a complete mailbox, create that empty mailbox and connect to it with the old version of outlook configured in the same language as original user first - then restore  the mail box.

2) Instal the old version of Exchange (using the original language configuration as well) , recreate all the mailboxes you know existed at that time, then upgrade that old version of Exchange to the new one then restore the mailboxes

3) Restore the complete Exchange srever as it was when it was backed up (to offline restore/recovery location) then back that complete recovery server up again with BE 2012 and then use the option to restore to PST form BE 2012 to get the data into separate pst files for migration to yoru online environment.

4) Try cataloguing the Exchange backup set in BE 2012 and testing the restore to PST (this may only work if the original backup was GRT enabled)

5) Restore to a recovery storage group and then export the required messages using Exchange tools