cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after upgrading from 16 to 20

NetworkCompany
Level 4

Ever since upgrading to version 20 we have nothing but frustrating problems at all sites.  I have at least 3 installs with the same issues.  One install is a completely new install of BE20, not an upgrade.

Our setups are the same on all sites.  Windows Server 2016 Standard running as the backup server backing up a Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V server with Windows 2012 R2 hyper-v instances.  For the systems that were upgraded, we had the latest version of BE2016 FP2 w/ updates and all backups were 100% successful prior to the upgrade.

First, as soon as the upgrade completed, none of the backups worked to dedup storage and we were unable to edit any jobs pointed to DEDUP.  I waited patiently as the dedup storage completed the conversion and the logs indicated the conversion was successful.  This is the resolution: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100042776

Turns out I don't wish to spend weeks diagnosing this issue with support so to get things working again, I had to blow out the entire BEDB and reload from base, re-add the dedup storage, then catalog and index and recreate all jobs.  Simply deleting and recreating dedup storage didn't work, something was wrong with the database.  While this worked, the problem should never have been there in the first place and consumed a half-day which I can never get back.

There are additional ongoing issues.  Most all Hyper-V servers fail to verify, complaining the VHDX files for the VM being backed up are corrupt.  I know backup worked, I can restore the VM from the backups and the restores are successful.

To narrow down the issue, I simply select one VM to backup using one-time-backup and use the recommended virtual agent to do the backup.  I verify that all the drives with the VM's VHDX are included in the job and test the credentials.  I separated the backup job from the verify job and backup completes successfully, verify always fails with the same corrupt .VHDX files.  This is occuring on upgrades and new installs of BE 20.  Is there a fix for this?

2 REPLIES 2

Steve-Young
Level 6
Employee

Can you attach a job log or provide the exact job log details of the error?

Do you have enought disk space to create a Backup to Disk (B2D) and run this Single VM job to it vs to a Dedupe folder?

There is a lot of confidential information in the job logs but they are all realated to GRT.  I've never seen GRT errors until the upgrade to 20.

It's like GRT works sometimes on full backups and then for a day or two with incrementals then says:

V-79-57344-38732 - Virtual machine 'SYSTEMNAME' does not meet the requirements necessary for Backup Exec to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.

This is occuring pretty much everywhere that version 20 is deployed.  Version 16 never did this.

For instance, one VM is failing with the GRT error and I can select C drive items from that backup but I cannot select X drive items which is where all the file shares are located.  This particular server is literrally nothing special, it's just core mode with file sharing and best practices GPT volumes.

I can go on and on like this with examples.  It's a nightmare

Exchange backups fail with the same issue:

V-79-57344-38732 - Virtual machine 'SYSTEMNAME' does not meet the requirements necessary for Backup Exec to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.
Backup- VRTSRV::\\SERVERNAME\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\SERVERNAMEV-79-57344-38748 - Backup Exec was unable to prepare Microsoft Exchange resources for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) operations. Therefore you will be unable to perform GRT-enabled restores of Microsoft Exchange data for '\\SERVERNAME.domain.com\Microsoft Information Store\DBNAME' from this backup.

V-79-57344-38748 - Backup Exec was unable to prepare Microsoft Exchange resources for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) operations. Therefore you will be unable to perform GRT-enabled restores of Microsoft Exchange data for ''\\SERVERNAME.domain.com\Microsoft Information Store

Active Directory backups fail with the same issue:

Backup- VRTSRV::\\SERVENAME\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\VMNAME-79-57344-38732 - Virtual machine 'VMNAME' does not meet the requirements necessary for Backup Exec to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.