cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues backing up with iSCSI under 2012 R2

AlasdairClark
Level 3

Hi Guys,

Hopefully you can help with this issue, we virtualised a 2008 R2 server as its hardware was failing, data is stored on the E drive(which is a iSCSI target on a Synology NAS) this has been working fine and backups using Backup Exec 2014 have been completining successfully.

We have rolled out a replacement virtual on the same host but running Server 2012 R2 and using the the same Synology NAs as a iSCSI target, however backups are failing with the following error afterprocessing about 30-40 GB
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors.
Final error category: Resource Errors
Hardware wise ther has been no changes, just the new virtual running 2012 R2.
We are using the synology replication functionality to copy the data to a secondary NAS as a alternative backup until this is resolved. this secondary can then be monuted on the 2008 R2 virtual where a backup will run sucessfully
Things i have tried so far :-
moved the network connections to a Intel NIC instead of the embedded Broadcom
SrbTimeoutDelta changed from 60 to 300
LinkDownTime changed from 60 to 300

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Do you get the same issue if you use the NAS as a CIFS target instead?

Hi CraigV,

Thankls for the reply, the Volume on the NAS is configured as an iSCSI target and cant be accessed as a CIFS target

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@AlasdairClark wrote:

Hopefully you can help with this issue, we virtualised a 2008 R2 server as its hardware was failing, data is stored on the E drive(which is a iSCSI target on a Synology NAS) this has been working fine and backups using Backup Exec 2014 have been completining successfully.

We have rolled out a replacement virtual on the same host but running Server 2012 R2 and using the the same Synology NAs as a iSCSI target, however backups are failing with the following error afterprocessing about 30-40 GB
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Maybe I am mis-understanding, but I believe that error indicates that BE is having network communication issues with the data SOURCE (where the Agent is), and not the backup TARGET.  Is the Synology iSCSI your backup source or your backup target?

The Synology iSCSI is the backup source, destination is a LTO6 drive connected to the hyper-v host

The iSCSI is a red herring, i have started a new backup job that is tartgeting the server 's C: drive and that is also failing with the same error, so it looks like a  2012 R2 issue.

Does anyone have any ideas / guideance?

Regards

Alasdair

anyone ?

JuergenB
   VIP   

I had some problems in the past with iSCSI and Dell Storage.
The same with a Synology and my PC at home.

In both Situations i had problems with cheap Network cables.
Transfer speed was not stable at all (jumping up and down)

For the iSCSI and Dell i used excellent CAT7 Patchcables.
For the home office i switched the ISP Route for a small 5 Port 1GB Swich.

So first try good cables and don´t use jumbo frames.

Jürgen