cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues on Catalog and encryption Backup exec 2012 sp4

thrice
Level 3

i have 2 backup servers in 2 different sites. backup server A has all it's backup to tapes configured with an encryption i created. i sent 1 tape from backup server A to backup server B to restore some files, ran an inventory and catalog, inventory was good, the right encryption password is used for catalog, however below alert keeps popping up while the catalog is running.

Backup set #474 on storage media #32
Backup set description: "server_Daily-Disk Backup"
The encryption key required by this set (key name: Encryptionkey) cannot be retrieved. To Catalog this set, click Application Menu > Configuration and Settings > Backup Exec Settings, click Network and Security > Manage Keys, and then create a key using the same pass phrase and encryption type as the original key. 
(You must close this message before you can go to the Tools menu.) 
(When running the Central Admin Server Option, keys must be created on the Backup Exec server that is running the job.) 
After you add the key, go to the Alerts pane, open this alert again, and then click Yes to retry operation for the set. Otherwise, you can click No to skip to the next set, or click Cancel to terminate the job.

even following the instructions given on this alert doesn't resolve it. I don't have any other encryption key configured in backup server A. both backup servers is running on backup exec 2012 sp4

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

To rule out issues with this tape, does catalog at the first site complete succesfully or try cataloging other tapes at the second site.

It could be a BEDB issue as well. Try recreating the key at the second site. And if the second site doesn't run any backups, you could try using a blank BEDB to test.

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Try doing a small backup at the second site with the passphrase that failed to decrypt the tape from the first site, and then bring this tape to the first site. By right, if the two phrases are the same the first site should read the tape without any problems

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6

Are all encryption settings on the second server exactly the same as that of the first server ? Settings such as same key type ( restricted or non-restricted), same passphrase, FIPS enabled/disabled ?

Was the catalog/restore job recreated after creating the encryption key on the second server or was the same job rerun ?

thrice
Level 3

hi VJ,

thanks for your reply, the encryption setting on the second server is the same and it's also the only encryption key configured on that server. yes the catalog job was created after the encryption key on the second server as i already did a restore of server A's tape from the second server a month ago, but never got the same issue..

VJware
Level 6

Is FIPS setting same on both servers ?

Do you receive this error only for this specific tape or other tapes as well ?

thrice
Level 3

yes, FIPS setting is the same for both. So Far, i't just for this tape as all the other catalogs/restore i've done before worked fine. the tape was in perfectly good condition when i sent it to the other site, i'm using LTO5 tapes Btw.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Are the tape drives on both sites LTO5?

thrice
Level 3

Hi pkh, 

yes, tape drives/tape libraries for both sites has the same specifications and configuration.

VJware
Level 6

To rule out issues with this tape, does catalog at the first site complete succesfully or try cataloging other tapes at the second site.

It could be a BEDB issue as well. Try recreating the key at the second site. And if the second site doesn't run any backups, you could try using a blank BEDB to test.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Try doing a small backup at the second site with the passphrase that failed to decrypt the tape from the first site, and then bring this tape to the first site. By right, if the two phrases are the same the first site should read the tape without any problems