cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Engine Exception

Greg_Huntzinger
Level 4
We have BE V 10 installed on several servers. All of the servers are runni g Win2000 Server, current service packs, current updates. On one of those machines the backupExec Job service sometimes crashes during backups with a c0000005 exception at address 10432DA7 (copy). This has happened several times.

We have done a reinstall and installed all BE updates, so we already have SR1.

All of our agents are the current BE 10 versions.

I've seen several entries in this forum that seem similar to our problem, but none of them seem to have been resolved.

The only kbase article I've found was 276242, which says to contact Veritas technical services.

How can we get this problem fixed?
43 REPLIES 43

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
The job engine debug shows normal operation to where it stops. A variety of things can occur next so I can't determine what it's trying to do. Does the job engine stop when backing up a particular resource or can you do test jobs of local resources and get it to stop? Does the function for drwtsn32 stay consistent for the fault? Always showing function:Copy? It's hard to pin down what is occurring unless we can analyze a user dump file to get more information about the occurrance.

Greg_Huntzinger
Level 4
Thanks for your reply, Russ.

Yes, I've had job engine crashes on all three of my machines and they are all c0000005 errors in copy. We are not seeing any particular link between crashes and specific resources during backup. We have a fixed schedule of jobs, different jobs on different nights and we get job engine crashes at random. However, it is not at all unusual for some of the machines that are to be backed up not to be available sometimes, so that's another variable.

I spent time on the phone with Veritas today. They want me to load the latest driver kit and assure that the autoloader has the current version firmware. Also install the latest security hotfix. We're going to pick one of the machines and see if it makes any difference.

Greg_Huntzinger
Level 4
For those of you who have been standing by wondering what has finally happened to my servers, here's the exciting conclusion to the story.

I finally broke down and spent the $ to call Veritas support. I spent the better part of the day on the phone. I already had a couple of debug mode crash logs, otherwise he would have pushed me off to go get those. The conclusion was that I didn't have the latest build (5520) and the latest driver load (it turns out that this is part of 5520). Now, notice that no where in the 5520 bugfix list is anything that talks about job engine crashes. Everything implys that this is just an accumulation of hot fixes.

It turns out that this actually fixes our problem. I would recommend that anyone who is having this problem install 5520 to see if it clears things up for you. If you are trying to use technical support, install the new drivers too, just to be able to say that you have already done it.

I hope this helps someone!

Greg

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Thank you for the update Greg.

Regards,