cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Log Display Error Backup Exec 11d

ldubber
Level 3
Just want to say I have done my due diligence on this error. I have Googled, look on the forms and found many links that point to a solution but none have worked.

Whats odd about my case is that I only get "Job Log Display Error"  "One or more errors were encountered converting the job log into a web page for display. The job log will be displayed in text format." with nothing about a invalid character or position. Also it will not display in text either. Most of the forums, links and even the kb articles from Symantec have something more then just "Job Log Display Error" such as position or invalid character   but that's all I have. I cannot even from command line get it to convert the files to .htm. I can open the XML files.

Test runs and inventory seem to be fine. Even a backup of one or two folders is fine. I have recreated the selection list several times and it still does not help. I have ran every single XML fix I could find and that has not helped. Has anyone ran into this issue?

Any help would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ldubber
Level 3

So I ended up uninstalling and reinstall backup exec. That seemed to do the trick. I would recommend not uninstalling everything when prompted to do so. Because once I reinstalled I had everything back. No need to reconfigure.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Have you check the size of the job log that you are unable to display?  BE will have problem displaying it if it is too big.  Go to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data directory and check the .xml file which has a datetime closest to your job.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

I Uninstalled and reinstall MSXML and the issue got resolved.

Hope this helps...

ldubber
Level 3
My job log files are at 180KB. At what size does BE have issues?

ldubber
Level 3

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and that did not help. I did the XML4 did you have to do a different one? Also were you getting the generic "Job Log Display Error" that has no further details other then it cannot open the file?

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
These should be o.k.  I had problems with one of my job logs which is a couple of MB, not KB.  Try opening them in a browser and see whether they can be displayed.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Go to tools-->Options-->Job logs and make sure you have selected "Summary information only"

Hope this helps.....

ldubber
Level 3
Thanks for the reply. I will give that a shot. I will reply back tomorrow with the results.

ldubber
Level 3

I just checked and turns out its set to Summary Information Only already. Any other ideas. Thanks for our help.

ldubber
Level 3
Any one have any more ideas? Thanks for all your help. I am going to just uninstall and reinstall to see if it fixes it. I have never had to do this before.

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling MSXML and XML Parser?

ldubber
Level 3

What version do I uninstall I have about 4 different ones installed. The MSXML Parser that comes on the CD is 4.0 SP2. I will start with that one first.

ldubber
Level 3

So I went all crazy and uninstalled all the XML removed dll added them back in and did all sorts of things logged at msixec logs and everything seems fine. I guess an uninstall is my last option.

ldubber
Level 3

So I ended up uninstalling and reinstall backup exec. That seemed to do the trick. I would recommend not uninstalling everything when prompted to do so. Because once I reinstalled I had everything back. No need to reconfigure.

Thanks to everyone for your help.