cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Log tab missing

ATsuchida
Level 3
Running Backup Exec 12.5 on Server 2008 Standard
When I go into view the job history for any of my jobs, I cannot see the Job Log tab anymore.  How do I get this back?  I attached a picture :)
8 REPLIES 8

Sheena_K_
Level 4
In BE go to Tools>Options>database maintenance. Is the BE database maintance enabled? If so what do you have the "Delete aged data" section configured for? If you have it set for something like 1 day then it'll clean out the job historys for jobs older than 1 day. Also you might want to make sure there isn't any corruption in your database. Hope this helps.

Sheena K.

ATsuchida
Level 3

Here's the setup:

imagebrowser image

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
The job logs themselves are stored in the Backup Exec "\Data" folder as .xml files so you should first check whether they are present and try opening one or more in Internet Explorer that correlates to a job you have tried to view (you should be able to figure this out via the modified date). If that checks out OK, then try updating MSXML from here (if applicaple to what your OS has now): www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx. Job history is built from the database (BEDB) so it could still work even w/ a broken XML parser in the OS.

ATsuchida
Level 3
Hmmm, I think there is an issue there, because the XML files don't really have anything in them. There aren't very many of them either.

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
These instructions are in an external KB doc (# 315473), but for some reason the external link is not working currently (having that looked into). In the meantime, try these steps and see if the "job log" registry path got erased, changed, or corupted for some reason:

- Stop BE services using ServicesMgr.exe

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Misc
- Find the key "Job Log Path" and note the value (path)
- If the key is set to a non-existent directory, change it to the default directory (but be sure it exists first) <drive letter>:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data
- Start the BE services using ServicesMgr.exe
- Run a test backup and check for the Job Log tab in the Job History

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
The External doc for these steps has been re-published and  you can now get to it here:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/315473.htm

ATsuchida
Level 3
Thanks James!!!!  It totally worked.  You rock my world

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
What was the registry value? or was it gone? Any idea how it might gotten like this? Did it happen all of a sudden, or after an upgrade, or reboot, or full moon? I'd like to get a defect written but we'd be shooting in the dark a bit without knowing how it got there. And not having the job log xml there is a legitimate condition (for instance, if you have chopped the job log retention way down, thus that prior question).