cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Rate slowly decreases.

jgrywacheski
Level 4

Running Weekly Full backup jobs to tape. Used to run just fine (finish in about 24hrs), but the past few weeks the Job rate has slowly been declining over the time of the job.

Job will start out and in the first hour or so will climb to 3000+MB/min but will steadily decrease to less than 500MB/min and the job will take 50+ hours.

Any ideas of what could be causing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jgrywacheski
Level 4

Have opened a case with Symantec Tech Support to narrow down the cause of this.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

Can you post the job log here so that can check were would be the issue

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can check the TN below which will give you a bit more insight into why job speeds can be slower than the theoretical maximum...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH8326

However, have you tried a restart of your media server first? Any network changes or changes to AV scans? These can impact your backup speeds too if they weren't considered during a backup run. Check the fragmentation levels on the server in question as well...

Thanks!

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This could be caused by different data being backed up. Large files are always backed up faster than many small files due to sequential reading on the disks etc.

so if your backup basically starts with large files at the beginning and ends with may small files (like e.g. the system directories) this would be an explaination for a decreasing job rate

CraigV

...to a point. If the backups were taking around 24 hours and now take 50, something has caused this. The software wouldn't suddenly become slow backing up the same data as before.

jgrywacheski
Level 4

I apologize for the late response, the Symantec forums have been behaving strangely (asking me for image verification, but then not showing the image)

I don't think it has to do with file sizes due to the large difference in job time that has taken place.

Would updating my tape drive driver help anything?

jgrywacheski
Level 4

Oh and by the way, I'm not a symantec employee... I just noticed that, not sure how that got there.

CraigV

Hi,

Look that won't hurt to do so, along with updating your firmware. There is a DDI package you can download for your version of BE. Download it, install it and run the Device Configuration Wizard in order to install the drivers.

Your firmware package can be done by itself or through your drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility...

Thanks!

jgrywacheski
Level 4

Do you know where I would find this DDI package for BE 2010 R3 on the Symantec website?

CraigV

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH158750   

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

2010 R3 DDI - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH167567

BackupHound
Level 3

I had a similar issue when I had Intel (ProSet) dropped Teaming support for W2K8R2 on legacy NICs.

However I can tell you that BUE device speed starts at the maximum supported for that device and comes down to the speed that it is limited to, due to network/ bad tape/ etc.

Coming from an Arcserve background, it was the other way round - the device would start at 0 MB/min at work up to the maximum speed the device can run at.

Symantec people may want to correct me on this, but from my experiences, this is true.

jgrywacheski
Level 4

Have opened a case with Symantec Tech Support to narrow down the cause of this.

jgrywacheski
Level 4

Thank you all for your contributions.

Hi,

What was the solution?

Thanks

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi @SupMet

@jgrywacheski has not visited VOX in over 2 years. 

I seriously doubt that he/she is going to reply here.

Best to start a new discussion and tell us about your experience and environment.