cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job backup full and differential BE 2012

Jesus2012
Level 3

I'm trying to setup a full backup job and then the backups differential but I want to make one backup full and one backup differential for each day remaining of the week and use different tapes for each day, I can do a only job backup that includes the full backup and the 4 differential backups ? In BE 2012 I can create one job for backup full and other job for backup differential?  What is the best way to create the full job and differentials.?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. This is not possible.  You cannot have a differential backup job without a full backup job.  The best way to meet your requirement is to define a job with a full backup and a differential job for each week-day.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I can do a only job backup that includes the full backup and the 4 differential backups ?

Click on Edit and click on Add Backup jobs by method and select Differential from the drop down menu.

You can schedule the differential job to run every day. No need to add 4 times.

mmattmann
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi

Do you use the same "selction list" for the full and the differential job?

Instead of running the Job every day, you can choose "weeks", then run it every one week an tick the days you want to run the job.

Jesus2012
Level 3

Right, I have one only job, the full backup along with the differential for all days of the week, but in this moment I can select only one for differential backup tape, I need use one tape for Tuesday, other tape for Wednesday and other Thursday,is possible select one tape for each day?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you changed the append period property of respective media set as mentioned in my previous post?

With 0 hours append period and 7/6 days Overwrite protection period. the tape used on monday will not be available for writing backup on tues day. Hence BE will be using another tape from available tapes. Same will happen with tuesday tape on wednes day and so on....

mmattmann
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I never used Tapes with Backup Exec 2012, but if it is like in 2010 then you can do it this way:

Solution 1:

Create a mediaset with the 3 tapes, select the mediaset for the differential setup. Set overwrite Protection to 5 days and do not allow to append.

Solution 2:

Create jobs and media set for every day and select the mediaset as device.

mmattmann
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Overwrite protection 7 days is not a good idea as the overwrite protection is "set" to the media after the job finished. So it will be protected for one week + job running time

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Solution 1:

Create a mediaset with the 3 tapes, select the mediaset for the differential setup. Set overwrite Protection to 5 days and do not allow to append.

Assigning tapes manually to media set is not recommended as the medias inherits the properties of media set, which results in tape becoming unusable because of overwrite protection. And OP would be needing minimum 6 tapes to achieve what he is looking for. 

Coming to OPP, i mentioned 7/6 days. You are correct, i could have been more specific on that. 

Jesus2012
Level 3

Solution 2:

Create jobs and media set for every day and select the mediaset as device.

In BE 2012 can create multiple differentials job without them are related to a backup full job ..? in other words I can have in one task only the full bakup job and create in other(s) task(s) the jobs differential for day or is not possible ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. This is not possible.  You cannot have a differential backup job without a full backup job.  The best way to meet your requirement is to define a job with a full backup and a differential job for each week-day.