cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job completed with exceptions -- How do you include SQL transaction logs in the backup using Backup Exec 2012?

grimleyi
Level 2

Hello,

I client of mine is using Backup Exec 2012. Their backups are completing successfully (for the most part, some intermittent failures), but they receive the following message after each backup:

The job completed successfully. However, the following conditions were encountered: Job Completed with Exceptions

We never received this message when we originally installed the product. These messages began maybe 6 months later. I originally thought the 'Exceptions' indicated that not all drives/folders/files were included in the backup, but i have come to find out that the 'Exceptions' are actually the SQL transaction logs that are not being included.

We used to have it set up to run a full backup once a week and incremental backups for the other days. The incremental backups were failing consistently stating:

The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec SQL Agent was not used to create the last full, differential, or log backup of this database. You must use the SQL Agent to run a full backup before you can run a differential backup or transaction log backup.

**Note** -- even though they receive the failure notification, when I check the backup destination, I see backup files that were being produced daily. We have since swithced over to full backups daily to get rid of the failures, but still receive the 'exceptions'.

From what I read online, the full backup should automatically include the SQL transaction logs (the SQL instances are selected as part of the backup). So, here are my questions:

1. Are the SQL transaction logs automatically included in a full backup?

2. If so, Why do the incremental backups keep failing with the message given above?

3. If not, How do I use the Backup Exec SQL Agent to run the full backup? I have not seen anything resembling it in the user interface.

Thank you for reading this, and any help is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
See my article below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-sql-logs-and-truncate-them-be-2012

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

lmosla
Level 6

HI,

this can occur if another application is resetting the LSN  see: Differential/Log backup of SQL database fails with the error - 0xe0000363 The Backup Exec SQL Agent ...

Jarzamendia
Level 4

Hi dude,

I have the same issue. Try check if a DBA in your client's site are doing a backup with the SQL tools. If this is true, try mark the option "Copy only" in the SQL backup job (of SQL tool). 

The Transition logs are no include in the full backup. You need use the incremental job to backup and trunk the log file.

If your database does not keep transition logs set up a differential job to backup your data.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
See my article below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-sql-logs-and-truncate-them-be-2012

grimleyi
Level 2

Thank to all for the suggestions. I will try them out next time I am on site (next 2-3 days) and then I will update the post.

grimleyi
Level 2

Hi,

The SQL transaction log is now successfully backed up! Thank you pkh!

Now to wait and see if the regular backups give a 100% successful without exceptions.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
They should