Help! I know there are a number of posts about this topic but I've tried everything and nothing seems to fix it...
I'm running Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 Rev 4691 (with latest service pack on hot fixes) on Microsoft SMS 2003. The backups have been running fine for months then started failing with the following error: a00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Please check for network errors.
I'm only performing a backup of the local machine, no remote servers are being backed up. This started happening and I can't think of any changes that were made to the server at the time this started to happen.
I have not managed to complete a backup since this error started occurring (3 weeks), it gets to about 6.5 GB (varies) then the Backup Exec Remote Agent stops. I have tried the following to fix this:
- Uninstalled Backup Exec (complete uninstall) and re-installed. - Installed latest service pack and hotfixes - Uninstalled Virus Software - Changed DLT unit (and tape) - Ran TCPView to ensure no other app was using TCP port 10000 - Changed Remote Agent priority to Lowest Priority.
I have performed a backup with both the Remote Agent & Job Engine service in debug mode but the logs were of no help to me... I can email these to anyone that can help.
Help, I'm now three weeks with no backups. Any suggestions to try would be createfully appreciated???
backup a similar system to see if it still fails, if it does then backup a different system with different hardware. are you running open file agent on that system? uninstall it try with out it the reinstall it. change NIC cards on the remot system.
Additionally you can also try the steps given in the following technotes:
Title: "A timeout occurred waiting for data from the agent during operation shutdown" or "The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors" (a00084f8 HEX or e00084f8 HEX) is reported during a backup operation http://support.veritas.com/docs/258159
Title: "A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent" (a00084f9 HEX or e00084f9 HEX) is reported in the job log while performing a backup of a remote computer http://support.veritas.com/docs/256120
Hope this helps.If the issue persists, you can write back to the forum. However If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked âassumed answeredâ and would be moved to the âanswered threadsâ pool.
Hi, thanks for the reply. No the Server is not a desktop, it is a HP Proliant ML 350. I have watched the backup and it will get to a certain point then the remote agent service will stop and the backup will finally time out with the above error.
I will run a backup using NT Backup and get back to you.
The debug log explains some things better. Are you backing up Exchange mailboxes in this job? If yes,it could be that the service stops while backing up mailboxes. You have mentioned already that you have the latest hotfixes and service packs. I suggest you to install hotfix 47 which deals with the problems related to exchange mailbox issues.
Title: 9.1.4691 Hotfix 47 - Exchange Mailbox Backups (Backing up Microsoft Exchange mailboxes may cause the backup job to hang) *Requires Backup Exec 9.1.4691 Service Pack 2 http://support.veritas.com/docs/275354
It requires SP2 to be installed before that. In case you do not have SP2, you can find it at the following link: VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 2 http://support.veritas.com/docs/275247
Hope this helps. If problem still persists, you can always write back.
NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked âassumed answeredâ and would be moved to âanswered questionsâ pool.
I have already installed both the SP2 and the exchange hotfix. Is there anyway of checking that the Veritas has the latest SP installed, when I look at the Help - About information it shows the following:
The Remote Agent service is only stopping when performing a backup on the E: drive (it does not appear to be related to amount of data). If I remove the E: drive from the selection list then the backup will run through successfully.
One thing I noticed when the backup failed was that it always failed on a specific .RAR file. I then deleted the file and then reran the backup, it then failed on the next rar file in the backup list so I went through an removed all .RAR files from the E: drive. The backup is now failing on a directory with no file showing.
This is becoming very confusing and extremely frustrating...