cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job monitor shows “Ready, No Idle devices Available” When there is available media in designated media Set and in scratch media.

wopfather
Level 3

I have inherited the following environment:

• Backup Exec 12.5 rev.2213
  • ML6000 Library with 6 LTO-4 Tape Drives.
  • Roughly 75-125 Backup Jobs per evening depending on the day.  A few jobs start at 5:00 pm, the rest start between 7:00 and 8:30 pm. 

The Scenario:

As jobs start, all 6 LTO4 drives are used and the rest of the jobs say Read, No Idle Devices Available.  This is to be expected since all 6 drives are in use.  As jobs finish, and the drive becomes available, jobs that are in the “Ready, no Idle Devices available” status do not start immediately.  The next job will not start until all 6 drives are available at which time 6 new jobs will start.  As one job finishes, the next job will not start until all 6 drives are idle.  This has a negative effect on my backup window because if I have 6 jobs running concurrently and 5 of them take an hour, and the 6th one takes 5 hours, the first 5 jobs finish and the drives sit idle for the remaining 4 hours when they could be processing a backup job. 

As anyone seen this behavior?

5 REPLIES 5

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Ready, No Idle Devices Are Available means backup exec is not able to communicate with the tape drive.
1  : Check if the drives are listed in the device manager and backup exec.

We need to perform Power cycle on the network
1  : Turn OFF the server and the library
2  : Disconnect the library and turn ON the server
3  : Turn OFF the server and connect the library
4  : Turn ON the library and let it boot
5  : Turn ON the server and check the device manager for the drives

Make sure to use symantec drivers for the drives and unknown medium changer for the changer drivers

Have you checked if you Library Extension Option (LEO) license is still entered in the Media Server?

wopfather
Level 3

It was the drivers for the drives.  I replaced the drivers using Tapeinst.exe and all seems good now.  How do i check the LEO License?

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

To check the LEO license or any license key that is installed click on Tools->install options

and license key. If its a bundled license key then it will not show the quantity of the drives

supported.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE comes with 1 LEO.  You would need 5 additional LEO licences to run 6 tape drives.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Please mark the tread as resolved if the issue is resolved !! Cheers!!