cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job stuck on "Loading Media"

nthnu
Level 5

Our test setup: Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter (VM) with Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP4 and iSCSI connection to QNAP.

We started a small backup to kick things off which was successful. After, we started a full backup job. It was flying, but sometime in the night it went to a Job Status of "Loading Media". I have looked over any alerts I can find and responded OK to them.

Will checking "Eject media after job completes" help?

Any idea?

Thanks!

Update: Ok, I'm confused. I went in to configure another backup, and when I came back, it is running. I'm assuming the Loading Media status take a very long time?

7 REPLIES 7

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,

What kind of Alerts did you get?  There might have been some kind of Network connection problem.  Check your Windows Event Logs during this time.

nthnu
Level 5

Like I mentioned, I checked all alerts. I looked in the event logs, but didn't see any issues.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Backing up TO the QNAP?  or FROM the QNAP?

If you are backing up to the iSCSI disk, then any "loading media" status should be brief.  If you are backing up to disk, do not turn on the "Eject media after job completes" as it serves no purpose.

nthnu
Level 5

To the QNAP. Ok, I didn't know if it would or not.

I've started noticing a trend. It seems it takes about an hour on "Loading Media", then it goes to "Running." I'm going to see what will happen next. I'm expecting the same thing.

lmosla
Level 6

Are you upto date with all of the Live Updates installed?

Try running the b2d test tool http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69107

nthnu
Level 5

We have all the updates.

What I just noticed, is when I look at the job, it is at one of our Ghost image depot locations. So it's grabbing 2GB .gho files. Maybe it's calling that "loading media"?

lmosla
Level 6

Backup Exec gives this message when it is searching for media to write to so I don't think it is having an issue with the files...

a few more things to check:
make sure there is enough space available or if there is fragmentation

in the Backup Exec global settings (Click the Backup Exec button, click Configuration and Settings, 
and then click Backup Exec Setting and in the left pane click Storage) set it to Overwrite recyclable media contained in the targetedmedia set before overwriting scratch media

take a look at How Backup Exec searches for overwritable media in tape drives and disk cartridges