cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job told to backup to Tape but its backing up to Disk instead

jake213
Level 3

Hey guys,

I have a couple questions but first let me know explain.

I have setup jobs for each server by day. Mon - Thurs has a seperate job for each server. I have set up each different job to go to a seperate tape. So I know Monday's job went to Mondays tape. I have seperate Media Sets for each Day of the week with each tape in them. Now, I've run into a snag with the backups, I set my jobs up to go to each of these tapes but for some reason Backup exec decides it wants to backup to disk instead. I dont get it. I have my append period set for 4 days and my overwrite protection set for 5. Do any of you have an idea of what might be causing this? Kind of annoying when I come in to see my server only has 300 MB left on it and I have to Delete 300 GB of backups and all media sets have other tapes and B2D files in them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In your job properties, what did you select for your Device?  Did you select your tape drive, e.g. hp1, or All Devices?  If it is the latter, then BE will use any of the devices on your media server, including B2D folders.  If you want your job to use only your tape drive, then you should select it in your job property.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No way that BE will automatically span onto a disk if a tape is full...that's by design.

If you have partitioned a library or autoloader, make sure the partitions are correct, and that the jobs are correctly pointing to where they're supposed to go.

Unless you're using that B2D folder, I'd suggest either deleting it or disabling it for use when needed.

Cheers!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Does the job write anything to Tape, or does it start out writing to Disk?

I have my append period set for 4 days and my overwrite protection set for 5.

Are your jobs all overwrite or are they append or a mix?  With your settings, if you overwrite on Monday and then Append Tues-Fri, you cannot overwrite again until the following Thursday

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In your job properties, what did you select for your Device?  Did you select your tape drive, e.g. hp1, or All Devices?  If it is the latter, then BE will use any of the devices on your media server, including B2D folders.  If you want your job to use only your tape drive, then you should select it in your job property.