cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs failing with error code E00084F4 using HP Ultrium-4 LTO external SCSI tape drive

Ascend
Level 2
Hi team!

I am seeing nearly all backups failing at a random point during the nightly backup to tape job where the error code is E00084F4 (example as follows)

Job ended: Friday, May 16, 2008 at 9:24:37 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred.
Final error category: System Errors

We are using 64bit Windows Server 2008 and Backup Exec 12.0 with all hotfixes as at the 16th May 2008 applied and I've also installed the latest Backup Exec drivers from the Symantec download package be1364R300831_x64bit_302875.exe

The hardware is a brand new HP ML350 G5 server, HP (LSI Ultra 320) PCI Express SCSI controller and an external HP 1840 Ultrium-4 LTO tape backup device using new HP LTO4 800/1.6Tb backup tapes. According to Symantec this combination is supported by Backup Exec 12.0 on 64bit Windows Server 2008.

Does anyone know what might be causing the jobs to fail with that error? My research on the matter seems to indicate its a driver issue, however I've tried the Windows 2008 default drivers, Symantec's newest Backup Exec drivers and I've also tried HP's own drivers for the tape drive and I get exactly the same problem. 

Please help, as if I cannot get the Backup Exec 12 software to function properly I'm going to have to advise the client we have to consider another backup product.

Any suggestions appreciated. 
5 REPLIES 5

crus0r
Level 2

I am getting the exact same problem using a HP ML370 G5 with an Ultrium960 (LTO3) tape drive.

I have tried the Veritas driver - Both the default and the new one packaged with Hot Fix 305849

I have also tried the HP driver..

Also like the op, i am using an LSI Ultra320 card.

Also running 2008 server.

Both Backup Exec and Windows 2008 are fully patched at the time of this post.

Any help would be appreciated

Martin_van_Kran
Level 2

I am getting the same problems.

Hardware configuration: HP Proliant ML370G5, HP (LSI ULTRA 320) PCI express HBA and a HP Ultrium 920 Internal tapedrive.

OS: Windows 2008 64bits with the latest supportpacks and updates. Veritas Backup Exec 12 with the latest updates.

Server installed by using HP Smart Start 8.10 x64 and updated bij the latest HP proliant supportpack 8.11 and firmware 8.20.

We tried running Backup Exec with the windows 2008 default drivers, HP drivers and the latest symantec drivers. But al of them giving the same errors. HP LTT does not give any errors.

Did anyone found a solution for this issue?

Martin_van_Kran
Level 2

Update.

In our case it seems that stopping the HP Insight storage agents and the HP WMI Storage providers solves the problem. At the moment we are working with HP to find a solution. 

nfinger
Level 2
I am having the same problem. What was the solution.

jdeitel
Level 3
I have the same problem, with older equipment.

Server 2008 Enterprise running Backup Exec 12.5 in an isolated environment, patched well

MSL5000 with LTO-1 tape drive...

Tons of errors in event viewer Event ID: 33152
1 SwitchOver Logic Failed

2 Adamm Mover Error: GetDriveInfo Failure!

3 An unknown error has occurred.