cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs hang, cannot cancel

jlseber
Level 2

After installing Backup Exec 12.5 on my Windows 2003 Standard Server on a Dell Poweredge 2950 server and Powervault 124T LTO4-based tape library and SuperDLT 4 tape drive (for incrementals only), I have had many jobs to freeze up and never complete.  When I try to cancel the jobs, they won't.  The only way I seem to be able to clear the jobs is to stop and start or restart the Backup Exec services.  Furthermore, this is happening at least 2-3 times per week, and that's not acceptable.  My questions are:

What causes jobs to hang if the remote system is up and running and the agent looks functional?

Why will pending cancels not ever finish?

Is there a better way to stop the jobs that do freeze up?

Any information would be appreciated.  I really need to get this resolved.

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

If your RAWS agent isn't publishing correctly, this could cause some issues. Furthermore, a number of people use LiveUpdate (not sure if you do...?). What tends to happen is that the media server is updated, but these updates are never pushed to the remote servers. This is a manual install from the media server itself.
My suggestions would be as follows:

1. Check the Alerts tab in BE 12.5 and see if there are any alerts running during the backup. If there are, see what they are and respond to them. Post them here if need be.

2. Download the latest service pack (SP4), and any updates AFTER SP4 was launched. Install them on the media server, and then push-install your updates to your RAWS agents.

3. Check the remote servers are publishing to the media server.

For some reason, when the jobs don't cancel correctly, it is because the system is waiting for something to happen before it can do so. What that is, however, is another story!

Post the results here...

Laters!

jlseber
Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply.  In order of your suggestions,

1) No alerts show during the backup jobs that hang.

2) I have updated to SP4 and made sure the remote agents were also updated.  I always do this when the service pack or hotfix says to update the remote agents.

3) I have only one server with physical tape drives, and the remote agents say they're publishing to that server.

Hence my problem.  It is intermittent and not repeatable; that is, it doesn't always fail on the same backup job or system being backed up.  This makes analyzing this especially frustrating.  Backups will go for days sometimes with no problem, then boom.

Thanks for your suggestions.  Still looking for more.

Thanks,

-jls

CraigV

...and I take it there are no prompts during the backup? Any chance of a network link drop during the backup?

CraigV

Any news here?

jlseber
Level 2

Sorry I haven't been back to this in a while; totally swamped.  Most of the backups I do happen on machines in my physical subnet, so if there are network outages, I should see them on my monitoring software.  I can't find any correlation of system connectivity to backup lockup.  It seems to be random, but I'm sure there must be an underlying factor.  I just had a lockup yesterday that I had to restart my services to clear.  I have tried pausing and unpausing the tape drive device and even disabling and reenabling the device to no avail.  If you have any other ideas, I'd like to know.  I'll try to watch this thread more closely until we can get this resolved.

Thanks,

-jls