cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs remain Queued

PedroR
Level 3

I have a 12.5 backup server with a fibre attached EXabyte 448 tape drive unti with two LTO3 drives.  All was working fine unitl a week ago, my backup jobs now remain in a "QUEUED, no idle devices available" mode.  When I look under devices, my tape drives say that they are in use, but I can't figure out by what.  Clicking on each drive I can see a tape in each, a retired media and a scratch media, but I don't see any jobs or anything to let me know what is using these tapes and preventing me from running my jobs.

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PedroR
Level 3
I'd like to thank you all for your assistance.  I was able to speak with an Exabyte tech today, and he informed me that Backup Exec was having an issue because I was starting it up, while the Exabyte Unit was performing some internal processes.  He had me perform the following and my drives are working properly again.

1) Set Backup Exec services to Manual and reboot the server.

2) Once the server was back online, without Backup Exec running, I rebooted the Exabyte unit

3) I allowed the Exabyte unit to boot up for 15-20 minutes, this allowed it's internal processes to complete.

4) Started up all of the Backup Exec services. 

5) Started up Backup Exec.  Waited about 5 minutes and then kicked off one of my jobs that was remaining "Queued".  After approx 2 minutes, status changed to running and I can see the byte count and job rate increasing.

Thank you again to you all.  Have a great day.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Hi PedroR,

which os are you using?
on services check if "Removable Storage Service" is stop and disabled.
Operating System can see Exabyte and drives?
Did you try a server reboot?
Start a clean restart:
Shutdown media server
Shutdows EXabyte, but first chek in the drive has no tape, this is very important.
Restart EXabyte
Restart Server

Are the media server updated?

Regards,

JoaoMatos

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

"Queued" state means backup exec is finding the Drives busy. You need to powercycle the network.

1  : Shutdown the Server and the Library and disconnect the Library.
2  : turn ON the Server (This step will remove all the entries in OS)
3  : Turn OFF the server and connect the Library
4  : Turn ON the Library and let it boot
5  : Turn ON the Server and check the Device Manager for the Drives and the Medioum Changer

Make Sure that you are using Symantec Drivers and the Medium Changer must be Unknown (Microsoft Drivers) Removable Storage Service - Stopped and Disabled as mensioned by JoaoMatos

Perform inventory and backups....

Hope this helps....

PedroR
Level 3
The OS is Windows 2003 on the backup server.
Removable Storage Service is stopped and disabled
Windows can see the Exabyte Unit and the drives

I have rebooted the unit several times, but not a clean restart.  We are going to perform this in a few minutes and I'll find out if there are any tapes in the drives, the web interface is telling me no, but backup exec still says Yes.

I recently updeated the media server, Yes.

Thanks again for the quick response.  I'll let you know if this works. 

PedroR
Level 3
Thanks Dev T,

I'm trying this now.  I'll let you know how this works.

Job still not running, but now the status reads Ready, no media servers available

????

PedroR
Level 3

Under Devices, both drives under the Exabyte say that they are in use.  One drive says there is a tape inside, but I just confirmed that there is no tape in either drive. 

Katia
Level 2
I have the same problem but only when a start a backup to disk task, my problem begins when the server administrator quit and we changed the password in the system that runs veritas, could anybody give a hint what can happen?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
@Pedro, After updating your media server, did you re-install the drivers for your tape device? If not, go to Tools ---> Wizards ---> Device Configuration Wizard to re-install the drivers.

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Hi Pedro,

It´s very important do what "pkh" says.
Do you have a cleaning tape, to clean both drives?
You may have a troubles on your drives.

Regards,

JoaoMAtos

pkh
   VIP    Certified
@Katia, Start another discussion for your problem and provide more information like what is the status of your tape drive when the job is queued, etc.

tech29
Level 6
HI There,

Stopp all the Backup Exec services, remove all the tapes from the robotic library.. and restart the backcup exec services.

Let me know how that works.

Regards,
tech29.

PedroR
Level 3
I'd like to thank you all for your assistance.  I was able to speak with an Exabyte tech today, and he informed me that Backup Exec was having an issue because I was starting it up, while the Exabyte Unit was performing some internal processes.  He had me perform the following and my drives are working properly again.

1) Set Backup Exec services to Manual and reboot the server.

2) Once the server was back online, without Backup Exec running, I rebooted the Exabyte unit

3) I allowed the Exabyte unit to boot up for 15-20 minutes, this allowed it's internal processes to complete.

4) Started up all of the Backup Exec services. 

5) Started up Backup Exec.  Waited about 5 minutes and then kicked off one of my jobs that was remaining "Queued".  After approx 2 minutes, status changed to running and I can see the byte count and job rate increasing.

Thank you again to you all.  Have a great day.