cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs with GRT hang in "Queued" status after upgrading vmware tools - Backup Exec 2015 and vCenter 6

kalamchi
Level 3

Hi,

We have upgraded our ESXi hosts to version 6, and updated the vmware tools on the Windows VMs to the latest version.

Now, Backup Exec jobs for Windows VMs with GRT (including Exchange DAG) just hang in "Active: Queued" status and do not proceed. I tried to cancel those jobs and now they are stuck in "Active: Cancel Pending" status.

I have rebooted Backup Exec a couple of times, however those jobs become recovered automatically, start and get hung in "Active: Queued" status again. No signs of creating snapshot in vCenter as well.

I have run few other jobs with Linux VMs or Windows VM with no GRT and those run fine. I can see them trigger snapshot creation in vCenter and progress with backup.

Any urgent help is appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kalamchi
Level 3

It seems that something has caused Backup Exec agent to stop working properly after vmware tools upgrades were pushed to the VMs from vCenter. I don't have a technical explanation for what exactly was it.

However, the solution was easy. RDP into the affected VMs, and stop vm tools from Task Manager, then restart the VM (and i'm not really sure if stopping vm tools was neccessary at all, perhaps only a restart would suffice, but I did it anyway). After the reboot, it took Backup Exec a long time (like an hour or so) to actually proceed with cancelling the stuck jobs. Once it did, I re-ran the affected jobs and they start to work fine and complete the backups successfully. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kalamchi
Level 3

It seems that something has caused Backup Exec agent to stop working properly after vmware tools upgrades were pushed to the VMs from vCenter. I don't have a technical explanation for what exactly was it.

However, the solution was easy. RDP into the affected VMs, and stop vm tools from Task Manager, then restart the VM (and i'm not really sure if stopping vm tools was neccessary at all, perhaps only a restart would suffice, but I did it anyway). After the reboot, it took Backup Exec a long time (like an hour or so) to actually proceed with cancelling the stuck jobs. Once it did, I re-ran the affected jobs and they start to work fine and complete the backups successfully. 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The order of installing our remote agent compared with the tools can cause VSS driver conflicts (especially if you install the tools with default choices and don't do a custom install to disable the VSS support.)

So my guess is your issue might be to do with installing the new tools after the BE agent was already installed.

Although if you had not previously rebooted the VMs after the tools install this may have contributed to your issues too.

Hi Colin,

Thank you for the explanation.

Indeed the BEX agenet was already installed on those VMs long time ago (an updated with hotfixes). We have upgraded our ESXi host two days ago from 5.5 to 6.0 and pushed the upgrade of vm tools from vCenter to the VMs, and indeed, default without any customization. The upgrade of the vm tools does reboot the VM automatically, though, this was not enough obviously. The problem was only solved as I explained in previous reply to this thread. 

I will take not of disabling the VSS support next time we do vm tools upgrades.

Thanks again