cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just two questions

FredB
Level 3
I'm using BE8.6 server version

1) It shows that the files (mdf, ldf,, ndf files) are in use and those are skipped when backing up the sql databases. Is there anyway around this. Though the access files are also shown as in use, they aren't skipped.

2) I have 4 windows DCs. (each site has one DC). Is there any method to replicate our files to each others without causing much for the network bandwidth. I'd like to do this as a DR precaution. What is the best way to do this? Thanks

Fred
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lyon
Level 5
Backup Exec 8.6 is no longer supported and doesn offere support for Latest Version of SQL or 2003.

You will need the SQL agent option to backup the SQL database. So you always see them skipped. You can use Enterprise manager to run SQL dumps to disk then backup the sql backup files

No again your using a product that is way out of date.  You can use Windows DFS to replicate some data. Other than that Backup Exec 11d CPS option will allow you replication across wan/lan links and you can throttle the bandwith.  This requires a windows 2003 sever with disk space at your corporate office (CPS)

Lyon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Fred,

1. 1 way is to get an SQL license which obviously has a cost implication. The other would be to stop SQL and then backup those files, before starting SQL up again. The stop/start of the services could be scripted to do so at certain times. Not sure if you have tried the AOFO to get a backup through?

2. Not too sure what files you're talking about replicating here...Active Directory, or are these user files etc? If AD, I'd look at pulling your data onto 1 site (the primary). If you're backing up on each site, look at running a duplicate job if possible to that primary site. If not, then an NTbackup of your system state before copying that *.bfk file across your network would do it.

Laters!

lyon
Level 5
Backup Exec 8.6 is no longer supported and doesn offere support for Latest Version of SQL or 2003.

You will need the SQL agent option to backup the SQL database. So you always see them skipped. You can use Enterprise manager to run SQL dumps to disk then backup the sql backup files

No again your using a product that is way out of date.  You can use Windows DFS to replicate some data. Other than that Backup Exec 11d CPS option will allow you replication across wan/lan links and you can throttle the bandwith.  This requires a windows 2003 sever with disk space at your corporate office (CPS)

Lyon