cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just upgraded to 10d, need help to backup Windows NT server

Sary_Chan
Level 3
I've just upgraded to version 10d, and I've successfully pushed remote agents to all of our servers which are either Windows 2000 or 2003 servers. We currently have 1 NT server left, which is our very old file server. This server is almost at the end of its life, and we need to get this backed up before anything happens.

Is there a remote agent to push to the NT server, so that I can backup the data?
If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to backup data from an NT server?

I've seen for Unix backups, some admins use Samba share and that works fine. Is there something similar for Windows NT?

The previous version we used was version 10.0 which worked fine for backups, but I recently took over managing the backups, so I am unsure if there is a specific remote agent for NT or not.

Could somebody shed some light on this? If there is no solution, then the best thing to do next is migrate all data to a new storage unit with a more recent OS.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
v10 no longer supports NT4

if you still have a v8.6 or v9.x license, you could backup to disk from the NT box and then grab the BKF file(s) with v10, but that's the only way I can think of to get NT4 into a v10 backup

Sary_Chan
Level 3
I just found another NT4 server lurking in our Domain, and did a test by installing the Remote Agent from 10d onto it. The agent installed fine, and I even ran a backup which concurred to be also fine.

I guess it works, but stated not supported.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Sary,
It is stated not supported because we havent tested V10 with NT4 machines. We cannot gurantee any functinality of BE 10 with an Nt4 Machine. Also you will not get any support if you do fall in to a problem while backing up or restoring.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.