cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kerberos Event ID 4 on Exchange cluster every time backups try to run

Jonathan_S_
Level 2
I am using Backup Exec 10d on a Microsoft Windows 2003 cluster with Exchange 2003.  Backup Exec is installed on the Exchange box.  I am backing up both the exchange databases and the individual mailboxes.

When a backup job runs, a few minutes in to it, the job fails with this: 

The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

In the system event log, this is recorded:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Kerberos
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4
Date:  7/1/2007
Time:  10:26:11 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: EXCHANGE1
Description:
The kerberos client received a KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server host/exchange2.domain.com.  The target name used was MAIL. This indicates that the password used to encrypt the kerberos service ticket is different than that on the target server. Commonly, this is due to identically named  machine accounts in the target realm (DOMAIN.COM), and the client realm.   Please contact your system administrator.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

"EXCHANGE1" is node 1 and "EXCHANGE2" is node 2.   MAIL is the Exchange cluster resource name. 

Every time this happens the entire cluster locks up and the resources give a failed red X when I try to manually move/failover the cluster to node 2.  The only way I get the cluster back up is rebooting the first node and then the cluster moves to node 2.

I've already followed a procedure to remove the MAIL account from the domain (summed up as: Unchecked Kerberos authentication and DNS must occur on the Exchange network name on the cluster, removed the account, allowed replication, and rechecked the boxes to get the account to re-appear in AD )

I've checked for duplicate computer names/ips, none exisit.

I've spent a good deal of time on the phone with the hardware vendor (who originally set up the Cluster) and we thought we had it fixed with the procedure to remove and readd the MAIL account back into the domain. 

The jobs were running fine up until about a week ago.  I got two good backups after doing the aobve mentioned procedure, but last night the job failed again.   The kerberos errors have been happening for two months.

Please help!

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

Message Edited by Jonathan S. on 07-01-200709:06 AM

1 REPLY 1

Daniyar
Not applicable
I have the same error and Microsoft did not find anything from their side and suggested to check with Symantec. Backup finishes ok, so may be this error can be ignored.