cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LDF Not Truncating On SQL 2005 Cluster

Drew_Henning
Level 4

I am having some issues with the LDF file truncating on a SQL backup.

We have a nightly job that is backing up 3 SQL 2005 SP1 servers.  2 of the server are standalone SQL boxes while the third is a 2-node cluster.

The backups of the standalone boxes go just fine, but the cluster is having some issues.  Specifically, each night the LDF files on the standalone boxes are truncated.  But the LDF file on the cluster does not truncate.

Is there something special I need to do to get the LDF to truncate on the cluster?  All servers have the SQL agent installed and the backups are successful, but the LDF on the cluster will not truncate each night.  

Please let me know what I need to do to get the LDF to truncate each night

5 REPLIES 5

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi Drew,

If your databases are in anything but simple mode you will need to run log backups.
Are you running log backups or just full backups?

Patty

Drew_Henning
Level 4
We are running full backups of the DBs.

How can I tell if my database is running in simple mode?

Also, if I need to do a log backup, do I have to create a separate job since I have other SQL servers I am doing a full backup on in our current job?

Message Edited by Drew Henning on 04-26-200708:03 AM

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
You can find the DB mode in SQL Studio Manager on the properties of the database.

Yes, you would need to create a new job for the Log backups.

Patty

Drew_Henning
Level 4
We are running FulL recovery mode on our databases, per our software vendors best practices.

So we will need to setup a SQL log backup job to run.

Do most people have a job do a full backup the database then have another job run a log backup job?

I am fine with having another job run, but I was just wondering if anyone has some best practice recommendations on how to implement one.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi Drew,

Here is a technote from Microsoft:

Here is a technote that talks about the different recovery modes and backups that are available:

Hope this helps.

Patty