cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTO-2 400 GB tapes using half of the space

rabbanisyed
Level 3

Hello, I am using BE 2010 R2 for my exchange 2010 backups using LTO-2 cartiridge 400 GB as my data increased i have to backup in 2 tape my question is LTO-2 is capable of 400 GB but when it backups up i got only 198 GB. what could be the issue why my cartridge is not using full space is there any settings in BE aaplication ...

thanks in advance

Rabbani

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rabbanisyed
Level 3

Dear all,

thanks for all your swift responses!!!!

i have inserted a new Tape and took a full backup which accomodate in a single tape.i have verified the properties of Tape which show 821254 write errors in tape itself.because all of sudden it happened so there is not question of hardware compression i belive.

solved my issue!!!!!!

thanks again for all

Regards

Rabbani

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The native uncompressed capacity of LTO2 tapes is 200Gb and what you are getting is correct. 400Gb assumes a 2:1 compression ratio which is hardly achievable in real life

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello Rabbani,

For a LTO-2 tape, the compressed capacity is 400GB. The Native Capacity is 200GB(which is what you are getting). It means that compression MAY not be working.

Note: Backup Exec only sends a command to compress the data to the hardware device. The actual compression is done at the hardware level. You can verify it by following this link: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50960

Edit: You may also refer to the following link for more details: 
How Backup Exec for Windows Servers controls hardware compression on tape devices:
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50766

rabbanisyed
Level 3

Dear all,

thanks for all your swift responses!!!!

i have inserted a new Tape and took a full backup which accomodate in a single tape.i have verified the properties of Tape which show 821254 write errors in tape itself.because all of sudden it happened so there is not question of hardware compression i belive.

solved my issue!!!!!!

thanks again for all

Regards

Rabbani