cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTO drive unusable after installing SP5

Elkinator
Level 2
Immediately after installing SP5 on Backup Exec 11d build 7170 SP4 one of the LTO-4 drives on my relatively new HP MSL4048 is having problems.

Specifically, the drive sharing the SCSI ID with the library (drive ID X LUN 0, library ID X LUN 1) and after physically moving the drives between bays found that the issue does not follow the drive when ID Y LUN 0.  The issue manifests itself by extremely slow performance during write or read (verifying a tape written by the other drive) after the initial burst of data it appears that nothing follows and throughput continues dropping and am forced to cancel the job.  I have since disabled the troubled drive location and use only the second drive.

Operations with Backup Exec were running relatively smooth before the update, and can only assume that SP5 mucked something up.  I haven't been able to locate any bug reports or posts listing similar problems so I thought that I'd check with the forums to see if anybody is receiving the same or different results before calling this in to Symantec and paying for a support ticket to later be refunded once entered in their Etrack system...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

When you installed the SP, did you upgrade your drivers too? Run through the driver wizard and see if this helps matters at all.

Laters!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

When you installed the SP, did you upgrade your drivers too? Run through the driver wizard and see if this helps matters at all.

Laters!

Elkinator
Level 2
Good call Craig, I did recall the driver confirmation dialog popping up during the install.  I had decided not to load Symantec's drivers during the initial setup because everything tested fine without.  I question Symantec as to why they would include this with the SP since there should be nothing to update if not already using their drivers.

I ran tapeinst.exe to uninstall and remove the Symantec device drivers, rebooted the server, and my test backup job to the previously affected drive location completed successfully with normal performance.