cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTO tapes marked as WORM after deduplication process

lucsasso
Level 3

Hi,
using Backupexec 15 I configured deduplication disk storage and try to use it on a test backup with duplication stage on tape LTO.
After the process, all tapes in the library are of type WORM.
How can I configure tapes as normal tapes?
Thanks
Luciano

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Are you using the Symantec drivers for the tape drive? You can run tapeinst.exe to install them.

Also make sure you've got Feature Pack 1 installed. You can run LiveUpdate to check if this and any subsequent patches are outstanding.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Are you using the Symantec drivers for the tape drive? You can run tapeinst.exe to install them.

Also make sure you've got Feature Pack 1 installed. You can run LiveUpdate to check if this and any subsequent patches are outstanding.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
How do you infer that the tapes are marked as, WORM? From your screenshot, it appears that they are full and are write-protected

lucsasso
Level 3

I have installed Feature Pack 1 and the hotfix 232086

The number 1 on the tape icon means worm tape (attached screenshot).

I updated tape drivers with tapeinst.exe but the situation is the same.

Attached other useful images.

Thanks

Luciano

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

That screenshot shows the tape drive properties.  Yes, all LTO6 DRIVES support WORM.  I also noticed that your LTO6 drive doesn't support encryption, which is pretty unusal, but not impossible.  Are you using LME encryption?

Can you show the properties of a media?  WORM is a property of the media when you buy it.  You either purchase WORM media or "regular" (non WORM) media.  I am not aware of a way to change an LTO cartridge from one type to the other type.

What library are you using?  Is it a physical library or a VTL (virtual library)?  I noticed that your media capacity reporting of 304 PB is pretty unusual, making me very curious what you aren't telling us.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Your screenshot just shows that your tape drive can write to a WORM tape. It does not say that your tapes are WORM tapes. If your tapes are truly WORM tapes, then the suffix on their barcode labels is wrong. It should not be L6 which is for normal LTO6 tapes. It should be LW (I think). I don't have my barcode reference with me right now

lucsasso
Level 3

Hi,

the tapes are all normal LTO6 tapes. The library is a physical library (IBM TS3200)

Until yesterday everything was working properly but today all tapes are FULL with size as 300pb !

I have restart the library, reinstall library drivers, check DB.. but all seem to be ok

I have opened a case to symantec.

thanks

Luciano

lucsasso
Level 3

Hi,

I'have resolved the probem. Very simple solution!

Simply the problem was that the library was using the IBM driver.

Thanks to all

Luciano

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You were asked in the very first comment whether you are using Symantec drivers, but you did not bother to answer or check.

lucsasso
Level 3

The tape drive used the symantec driver but the Medium Charge Device under windows device manager used IBM driver