cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTO2 Tape Capacity Problem

Andy_McKnight
Level 3
Hi,

Unsure if this is a BE or Quantum issue but I'll ask the question anyway.

I've an LTO2 autoloader that's been running in production with BE10d for 7 days now and has been working very well. I'm having a problem with a single LTO2 tape.

BE reports this tape as having a "total capacity" of 131GB whereas it reports all the other LTO2 tapes I've used so far as having a capacity of 204GB. During our backup jobs last night, BE ran out of space on this tape at 131GB and the job failed.

I'm thinking this is an autoloader or tape problem and I've raised the issue with Quantum support. Anyone seen this before with BE in case I'm wrong?

Andy.
10 REPLIES 10

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly run a quick erase on the tape....

Refer the following Document:

What is a quick erase / long erase and when should it be carried out?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/238752

Thank You,

Shweta

Dr__Phil_Leonar
Level 3
Sorry for the hijack but...

This document really has nothing to do with this issue. I'm having the same problem with LTO3 tapes and a quick erase does not solve the problem. Reported capacity AFTER a quick erase is 400GB, yet my tape "runs out' of space after only ~250GB of data being written to it. My compression states .505:1. I've turned compression off on the drive, updated the firmware, and downloaded the latest Veritas tape drivers.

Andy_McKnight
Level 3
This sounds kinda similar. My LTO2 tape is showing a 1:1 compression ratio but is only showing a "total capacity" of 131GB.

I'm using a Quantum drive and Maxell tapes, you?

Dr__Phil_Leonar
Level 3
Yeah...Maxell tapes and a Certance Ultrium LTO3 - Certance was bought by Quantum...

Andy_McKnight
Level 3
Yeah, my drive shows up as a Certance drive in both Windows and BE. I've tried to raise this with Quantum support in the UK but they've been hopeless. I've still to get through to an engineer - every time I call they're on the "other line" - so I'm still waiting on a call back.

Unsure if it's a tape or BE fault though.

Dr__Phil_Leonar
Level 3
Any luck? In another thread, it was suggested that the tape first be initialized using the manufacturer's utility...whatever that means... I haven't been able to figure this out yet.. I'm trying a QUantum LTO3 tape today to see if there's any difference...

Andy_McKnight
Level 3
Just got off the phone with Quantum support. They reckon it's a bad tape. I've only seen this with the one so far so I'll replace it and see how I get on. It's next due in the rotation scheme on Monday night so I'll know come Tuesday morning if that's fixed it :)

Dr__Phil_Leonar
Level 3
Funny, I used a Quantum LTO3 tape for my backup today and it worked just fine - no request for a second tape. I've used over ten MAXELL tapes and had the same issue with all of them... NOT GOOD. Trying another Quantum tape tonight...

Andy_McKnight
Level 3
There might be some dodgy tapes doing the rounds. The Quantum engineer asked me for the tape serial number (it's off-site, I'll get it tomorrow) so he could check up on it. There may have been a bad batch somewhere?

Dr__Phil_Leonar
Level 3
Two successful backups in a row using Quantum LTO3 tapes... I'm also going to say it's the tape, but my cynical side thinks that's too easy of a solution...HA. One more try with a Quantum tape should satisfy me.

I hope my reseller takes all the bad tapes back...I've got about 20 of them...ugh.

Hope your issue is cleared up as well.