cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label backup to disk media

Lansend
Level 3

I suspect this question has been asked & answered, but I alas could not find any answer that was definitive one way or the other. i.e.: can do, or cannot do.  I found one response from 2005 but I could not relate it to Backup exec 12.5

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/auto-label-media-description-backup-disk-job

We backup to two separate Backup to disk (B2D) destinations. A local USB drive for daily backups & a NAS Drive for weekly backups.

Here is my dilemma.

The media label for all the backups are sequential & in the same series.

i.e.: IMG000897 and B2D015411

There is no way to differentiate by the label which media belongs to which backup .If the last daily backup of the week is IMG000897 , then the weekly backup will be IMG000898.

Is there a way to set the jobs to use different labels?  Even if they simply use a different numbering sequence, it will suffice.

Relabeling after the job has run, is not an option.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. There is no way make each job use different labels.

Why do you bother which media is used by which job?  BE will keep track of this for you.  Don't waste your time micro-managing backup sets.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. There is no way make each job use different labels.

Why do you bother which media is used by which job?  BE will keep track of this for you.  Don't waste your time micro-managing backup sets.

Vishal_Shinde
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello,

If you are keen to get the information on what media contains which data, then you may probably look at "Reports" as feasible option.

the information required can be pulled from report named "Backup sets by media sets" under the category "Media.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
S