cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lan free backup in veritas BE 16

Pranav1981
Level 3

Hello Team,

I want LAN free backup of all my servers, All servers are connected with single Tape library with two drives throug SAN switches. They are able to see changer and tape drives in device manger. If i share tape library from my caso server to MMS server then how data traffic will flow?, I was surprised when veritas support team said that if you share tape libray from CASO to MMS then data traffic will use LAN  between MMS and CASO then it will go to the tape library inspite of tape library is locally connected to the MMS server via FC.

please refer attached connectivity diagram and suggest how can i achive lan free backup.

Thanks & Regards,

Pranav Trivedi

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Metadata will go across the LAN, but all traffic, if you're using SAN SSO should indeed go through the SAN. The CASO will run SAN SSO, and the MMS servers will obviously run full versions of BE too...which is required.

Backups will run as, and when required and be controlled by the CASO which schedules which servers have access to the tape library. Any metadata that runs across the LAN should simply be for updating catalogs.

Not sure why they say all data will run across the LAN, but I suspect that they may be wrong.

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@Pranav1981 wrote:

I was surprised when veritas support team said that if you share tape libray from CASO to MMS then data traffic will use LAN  between MMS and CASO then it will go to the tape library inspite of tape library is locally connected to the MMS server via FC.

Simply, I agree with Craig.

I think there was a misunderstanding, possibly around the use of the word "share".  There is no "sharing" (in the BE sense of the word) with a tape library on an FC SAN.  Each of the MMS servers can see and talk to the tape library all by themselves.  "Share" (in the BE sense) is the process when a disk or dedupe device is "shared" with an MMS and that activity/process may NOT be LAN free.

Thanks Larry and Craig for clarifications.

Also i need your help to get clarity with respect to licensing for LAN free backup, As i understand ESO license is for Central administration of multiple media servers and not for LAN free backups, now in this case how do i control tape library to avoid multiple servers are trying to access library at one time because all servers  are using common tape library via SAN switch. Do i need to configure the SSO for this? I am not able to find SSO configuration in BE 16, Do i need to configure CASO instaed SSO in BE 16?  please guide.

Also I have one ESO license, one Media server license and Remote agents for APP/DB, Do i need addtional media server licenses for remote servers for LAN free backup?

I am using tape library with two FC LTO drives and i have one library expansion license. Do i need additioanl LEO license for all Managed media servers?

Regards

Pranav Trivedi

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Your CAS server needs the ESO license

Your MBE servers need standard BE licenses

SSO used to be a license but now is just a concept, so the term is still used but not against licensing.

If you have more than 1 tape drive in the library then you will need LEO licenses (possible one on each server that uses the library)

Every server (CAS or MBE)  involved in either creatiing or running backups needs agent licenses for what you backup.

Due to the complicated licensing we woud usually recommend Capacity licensing and not al-la-carte for such setups (which would mean no need for ESO licenses, or specific agent licenses or specific BE server licenses.)

Notes:

1) if you use GRT then Backup to Disk with duplicate to tape is a very strong recommendation due to the staging processes on restores as such I hope these servers do have some disk sace and not ONLY a tape library.

2) None of the servers accessing the tape library can be virtualized