cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest updates and documents?

Galane
Level 3
I want to download the latest updates and documents for Backup Exec 10.0, Storage Exec 5.3, and ExecView 3.2. The problem is for most of it Symantec's FTP won't allow it to be downloaded, wants a login and anonymous login doesn't work. (Some web searching shows this is a frequent issue with Symantec's FTP server.)

I've been able to get 279401.pdf, 281670.pdf, B2DTest_2729_32_327088.exe and the update to 10.1/10d and SP4 for that version.

I bought a Dell server that was made around 2005 with all this software (original Dell OEM discs) and an unopened copy of Server 2003 Standard Edition SP1 (DELL OEM COA still in its sealed baggie, shrinkwrapped manual and CD). The drives were wiped so I'm going to install Server 2003 and this backup software, olde though it may be.

Will the backup software install need serial numbers or will it just install since it's a DELL OEM version going onto a DELL server?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Galane
Level 3
I love auctions! Got a misc. lot of manuals and amongst a pile of old junk mostly from the 20th century was the box etc for Backup Exec 10 for Windows Servers, with serial number. It works with this DELL CD to install the full thing with all options available under the custom setup.

I didn't go ahead and install, just checked that out on one of my XP Pro desktops. Now to get Server 2003 on the server and updated to the latest SP etc.

The next thing on my wish list is an *affordable* single LTO drive in an external case, preferably with eSATA or USB 3.0 connection. That'd be great for backing up PCs, faster than over 100 megabit ethernet.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

The Backup Exec edition which you got along with the Server is Backup Exec Quick Start Edition, where you wont be able to buy any Added features such as Remote Agents, Exchange Agents...etc.

You will require a Serial number for the Backup Exec software you install.

These links might helpful:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/overview.jsp?pid=15047

http://customercare.symantec.com/app/

http://customercare.symantec.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/95

Hope this helps...

Galane
Level 3
I haven't found anything on the disk about it being a Quick Start version. Here's what's in cd.txt on the Backup Exec 10.0 disc.

BEWS  10.0.5484.6 HF9

DRIVERS  20041006                   
 LOADERS  release44                   
 OPTDRV  release11.signed                     
 COPTDRV  release11.signed                    

AGTUNIX  5.046                   
 AGTWN9X  5.030                   
 AGTORANT  5.030                 
 AGTMACOSX  5.045               

DLO  13124d

The setup program, the quick install guide and Administrator's guide pn the CD say it's Veritas Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers. No DELL branding anywhere but on the front of the CD. No mention of it being anything less than the full version.

If I can find a way to contact a human at DELL, I'll ask exactly what software is on CD-ROM P/N N8603 Rev. A00

And what about all the blocked downloads from Symantec's FTP?

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

In this case you need to contact Symantec Customer Care as the Backup Exec install CD is the same for all the editions, only the License keys activate the features. As far as my experience goes any Backup Exec shipped with DELL is a Quick Start Edition.

Customer Care Assistance
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_care.jsp

Hope this helps...

Galane
Level 3
I love auctions! Got a misc. lot of manuals and amongst a pile of old junk mostly from the 20th century was the box etc for Backup Exec 10 for Windows Servers, with serial number. It works with this DELL CD to install the full thing with all options available under the custom setup.

I didn't go ahead and install, just checked that out on one of my XP Pro desktops. Now to get Server 2003 on the server and updated to the latest SP etc.

The next thing on my wish list is an *affordable* single LTO drive in an external case, preferably with eSATA or USB 3.0 connection. That'd be great for backing up PCs, faster than over 100 megabit ethernet.

Dev_T
Level 6
Thats great!!!