cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library Expantion License of 2 different LTO

RIDHO07
Level 4

Dear,

i have one question for Library Expantion Option (LEO).

i have 2 LTO in my company, LTO4 and LTO5 each have 1 tape drives on each LTO.

if i want to backup data to Tape in 2 LTO simultaneously because the data is backed up so much. And 2 LTO that will be used for backup and restore

how many licenses LEO should I buy?

please advice. thank you

12 REPLIES 12

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello,
The first library-based drive is included with the Backup Exec Server. Each subsequent drive after the first requires an additional LEO per drive. Stand-alone tape drives that are not part of a tape library or auto-loader do not require a LEO. 

Please refer to the Backup Exec 15 Licensing Guide for more details. 

RIDHO07
Level 4

Dear Siddhant Saini,

i'm sorry, i use Symantec Backup Exec 2014.

So, I only need One (1) License LEO and One (1) Backup Exec Server License? Although I have more than 1 LTO with each 1 tape drive in the LTO.

thank you.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to the examples from the below article.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.tech43073.html

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Well, there is not much difference in the licences of BE 2014 and BE15 as far as LEO's are concerned. Firstly, are you using a Robotic Library or a Stand Alone Tape device? If it is a Stand Alone tape device then you won't need a LEO. You may connect as many of them without the need of a LEO. Only when you use more than one drives in a Robotic Library you'll need those number of LEO's.

Colin_Weaver

If you have mulitple  libraries with only 1 drive in each library you do not need a LEO

A LEO is needed where you have multiple drives inside a library

Examples

1 library containing 1 drive = 0 LEO

2 libraries continaing 1 drive each = 0 LEO

2 libraries, 1 containing 2 drives and 1 containing 1 drive = 1 LEO

2 libraries bith containing 2 drives = 2 LEO

etc

BTW the BE 15 admin guide confirms this as it states:

When you install Backup Exec, support for the first drive in every robotic library is
included. The Library Expansion Option enables support for each additional drive
in a robotic library.

Colin_Weaver

As an aside be aware that tape storage slots are not drives so if you have a library with 1 tape drive and 40 storage slots no LEO is needed.

RIDHO07
Level 4

ok thank you all,

RIDHO07
Level 4

hi,

if i connect 2LTO (LTO4 and LTO5) to backup server. one of LTO offline. and i check in event viewer occur error message.

LTO4 = 1 tape drive -> 8 slot/catridge

LTO5 = 1 tape drive -> 8 slot/catrige

are you sure i didn't need license LEO?

please advice. thank you so much.

VJware
Level 6

Would you post the adamm.log since the above screenshot isn't very clear. Thanks.

Colin_Weaver

The error message is intriguing, howevere libraries do not usually go offline because of LEO violations so you appear to have a hardware issue of some kind which needs fixing first. VJware's ADAMM log request may therefor help (however you may need to log a formal support case to get us to dig a bit deeper)

It is possible that the difference between the text of the licensing guide and the text of the admin guide may mean LEO licensing has changed and the admin guide is wrong. My previous answers were based on the admin guide text (which is how it worked for a few different Backup Exec versions). Do you actually have 2 separate tape libraries or is this some form of VTL acting as separate tape libraries (as this might affect the answer)

I have asked for validation of the difference internally (and quoted the BE 2010 licensing guide as a comparision as well) and await the answer.

RIDHO07
Level 4

where is the adamm.log? i didn't find the file.

VJware
Level 6

Its under \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs directory.