cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library License

Golani
Level 3

Hello

I just want to know if we buy a backup exec library license and our library has only one drive do we have to buy a drive license separately ?

and if we have two drive then what will be licensing for drive and library ?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hello golani To answer your question if you have a robotic library with one tape drive you dont need the library expansion option however if you have two tape drives in your library than you would need one library expansion option For 3 tape drives u would need 2 leo licenses and so on However if you only have standalone tape drives than you dont need library license For eg if you have 2 or 3 or n nuber of standalone tape drives connected to your server you dont need leo license....it is needed only when you have multiple tape drives in your library... Hope this answers your question

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

In addition to that also have a look at this technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73438

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...this TN confirms everything Mus Seth said a while ago...

Thanks!

Golani
Level 3

Hi

I understood that if I have a robotic library with one tape drive then I dont need library expansion option but er if I have two tape drives in my library than I need one library expansion option.

Is there any robotic library license at first time apart from expansion option of drive license

And after some time if I bought another library with two drives then I have to buy only two expansion option licenses for two drive correct ? and not any second robotic libary license

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No...the media server license covers the first drive in a tape library or autoloader...nothing to buy unless you expand the # of drives in that library/autoloader.

If you bought another library with 2 drives, you'd need 1 LEO as the first drive should be covered by the media server...

You can always confirm this by contacting the licensing department.

Thanks!

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
What craig said is right I.e second library with two tape drives would need only one leo license....