cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library Partition and Drives

Timo_Schoenfeld
Level 4

Hello,

I'm wondering that i cannot map a drive to a partition created in BE. Problem is, that i run a library with LTO5 and LTO4 drives. If i do an iventory job, the LTO5 media will be inserted into LTO4 drives, because the drives do not belong to a special partition, and those LTO5 tapes cannot be read by the LTO4 drives.  

If i create a partition on the hardware i'm able to map a drive to a partition. That new partition shows up in BE as a new library. That is fine, because LTO5 and slots are now a unity, but than i have another problem. If the new library is used and a backup is written on the LTO5 drive, the job is blocking the load of a tape from the "virtual" LTO4 library.

We are using a Scalar 500.

Does anybody know that problem ?!

Regards Timo

8 REPLIES 8

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Do you have the proper Library Expansion Option (LEO) License ?

As the Backup Exec Media Server has included the licese for the first tape drive in your library, for each additional drive you need a LEO license.

Dev_T
Level 6

Hi,

Backup Exec supports unlimited stand alone drives in the base license and only ONE tape drive if its a Library.

Please make sure that you have the Library Expansion Option License (LEO) installed.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Hmm

If you look at the properties of one of the LTO-5 tapes, what does BackupExec list it as?

Do you BarCodes?  if so do you scan the tapes after changing them out?

Timo_Schoenfeld
Level 4

Hello all,

a. LEO is installed and not only one time. 5 Tapedrive are installed.

b. Of cause with barcodes. Library without barcodes, how.

b. LTO5 tapes are recognized and inventory works fine, when loaded in LTO5 drive. But a inventory job to the libaray always will takw all drivea for that job, doesn't matter if tape can be read by drive.

My question is unanswered, if i can a map a dirve static to a partiton with BE, so that only tapes of that partition will be loaded to the drive which fits, in my case the LTO5 drive.

If not, i need to build the partition on hardware, here i can map the drive static to the partition. But that i have that blocking problem....

Regards Timo

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are your barcode labels in the proper format?  For example, for HP tape libraries, last 2 characters of the barcode labels identify the type of tapes, L4 for LTO4 and L5 for LTO5.

If your barcodes are in the proper format and the types of tapes are properly identified, you can enable barcode rules by right-clicking on the tape drive in the Devices tab.  You then set the rule for the LTO4 drive that it is unable to read or write LTO5 tapes, then BE will not put LTO5 tapes into the LTO4 drive.

Timo_Schoenfeld
Level 4

I tried that, but it works not as thoght, because prefix L5 is not shown up in BE.

I moved back again to configure the partition on the hardware, in tant constellation i do not have that problem, but i have the load-problem.

Both partitions appear in BE as an indemedent library, so i should not have that probel at all or ?!

Regrads Timo !!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As per PKH if you have nmixed drive and media types in one library you have to get barcode rules working so that backuP Exec knows not to mount the wrong tapes in teh wrong drive.

With regards partitions you used to be able to partition the slots and then once the device  for the parttion is created, modify the device itself (not in the parttions dialog) to remove drives from it - I don't know if this is stil true as don't cuirrently have a multi-drive libarry connected up to check.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

prefix L5 is not shown up in BE

You can add in the L5 suffix and create a rule for it.  The list of tape types in BE is not comprehensive.