cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library error - barcode rules have detected incompatible storage media in the robotic library.

fhpadam
Level 3

I cannot get my HP 1/8 Autoloader to inventory in backup exec 2014. I cannot seem to adjust the barcode rules. Any help would be appreciated. i just installed the backup exec 2014 and the HP 1/8 autoloaded with LTO6 tape in it. i do not have barcode labels and just want ot configure the system to backup my servers. Everything I try gives me this error

Library error - barcode rules have detected incompatible storage media in the robotic library.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Try this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99607

Thanks!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

CraigV

...does the 1/8 Autoloader have an LTO6 drive in it?

Otherwise check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH184162

You can configure BE to ignore the rule.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you have only one tape drive in your library then there is no need for barcode rules and you should disable them

fhpadam
Level 3

this is referencing be2012 and i have 2014. will these same commands work. How can i disable the barcode rules in 2014?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Right-click on the tape library in the Storage tab and uncheck Enable Barcode Rules

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Bar Code Rules are disabled by default, so i am curious if you know how they got enabled?

There sare many advantages to using bar codes on your tapes, even without using bar code rules, so you may want to consider adding bar codes to your tapes.

fhpadam
Level 3

I don't know how they got enabled. i assume it was default when i set them up but i haven't implemented a backup server for about 10 years and it is very different now. Is there a procedure to disable th ebarcode rules? i tried the command in the article bu tut said the command didn't exist.

CraigV

Try this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99607

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Whether barcode rules are enabled is a property of the tape library.  As I said earlier, click on the library in the Storage tab and you would be able to disable barcode rules.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Please be aware that if your library can read barcodes and you are not actually using barcodes on your tapes then you may need to actually disable something on the library itself (so not inside Backup Exec.)

Most libraries that can read barcodes have a required format of barcode that the library can decode to match with types the library supports. As such if you don't have barcodes on your tapes and the reader is enabled it might decide that the lack of a barcode is a violation and then feedback an error code to any backup software to the effect the the tape cannot be used. How the returned  error is handled by the backup software would then vary from one software vendor to another and I am not sure what error Backup Exec would generate for this scenario.

BTW if you have a barcode reader it is recommended that you do use barcodes but if you do decide to buy some make sure the format of barcode you buy (or self print) is correct for your library and LTO6 tapes.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is nothing to enable/disable in my HP MSL 2024 as far as barcode labels are concerned. I suspect it would be the same for the OP's HP library

fhpadam
Level 3

I was able to disable the barcode rules and now i can see my tapes. thank you for all the help.

fhpadam
Level 3

thanks to Craig V's  post for the link to the solution

CraigV

Hi,

Would you please then remark my post to correctly reflect the solution?

Thanks!