cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License Requirements for 10.0 Implementation

Chilulu
Level 2
Hello, I am getting ready to implement 10.0 for my company's Windows-based server infrastructure, but I'm getting confused with the licensing requirements. Can someone clarify?

I have the following servers and roles proposed.

- Windows Server 2003 to be the BE Media Server and to be protected locally
- Windows Server 2003 member server to be protected remotely
- Windows Server 2003 member server to be protected remotely
- Windows 2000 Server member server to be protected remotely
- Windows XP Professional workstation to be protected remotely
- Windows XP Professional workstation to be protected remotely

There are six machines total, and I just want to do simple backup over the network using the Remote Agent for Windows Servers without AOFO or DLO options. I have not bought any software or licenses yet.

I thought I would need the following:

- BE 10.0 main license (for console and local protection of local files)
- Four (4) Remote Agent for Windows Servers licenses for the three (3) WS2003 member servers and the one (1) W2000S server
- No licenses for the XP machines

In all, this is five (5) licenses, five (5) license keys to enter during installation. Is this correct?

Btw, a friend of mine tried installing BE 10.0 on his network, and was able to protect multiple remote servers with the main license and just one Remote Agent license serial number. Is this normal? Is this legal?

Any advise appreciated... thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

Chilulu
Level 2
Still need this answered. Maybe a VERITAS employee wants to answer this to ensure I don't violate licensing of your product?

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
You need 1 BE server license and 3 Remote Agent licenses.

You will most probably be given just 1 license key for the 3 remote agent licenses.

What you described about your friend is normal but isn't legal.

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
Listed below are the requirements for backing up any remote Windows NT or Windows 2000/2003 computer using Backup Exec 9.x/10.x

1. A Remote Agent license must be installed on the Backup Exec server, and the Remote Agent component must be installed and running as a service on the target server. One Remote Agent license is required for each remote server that needs to be protected.

If the Remote Agent license is not installed, resources on the remote servers will be grayed out and will not be available for backup.

***** As per your scenario we would like to mention you the following.

a) Since you have 1 Backup Exec server( called as Media Server that has OS as Windows 2003) and other 2 machine's which are 2003 Server and 1, Windows 2000 server therefore you will require 1 Base license for Windows Servers and 3 remote agent license's (2) for Windows 2003 OS Server and (1) for Windows 2000 OS server.

Also to mention you that your friend was correct. Sales Department issue's licenses called as "Site License" in which only 1 license is required for remote agent which actually binds many computers(remote server's), so just a Base license for Backup Exec Media server and a Site license is required. To get more information about the same, you will have to contact our Sales Department.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Agent pricing and other sales related queries, please contact our local sales office. You can locate them using following url:
http://www.veritas.com/us/aboutus/contactus/sales_na.html

Sales can be contacted at Toll-Free # 1-800-327-2232
Email:- Sales.Mail@VERITAS.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. The Remote Agent license is not required for backing up Windows NT and Windows 2000/2003 workstations, but the Remote Agent component must still be installed and running as a service on Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 Professional workstation computers.

3. Backup Exec service account must have permissions to back up files on the remote servers that need to be backed up, usually via the 'Domain Admins' group.

4. If a server that belongs to a workgroup is to be backed up, the server should have an account with the same account name and password as the Backup Exec service account, and this account must be added to the local administrator group.

You may also carry out local installation of remote agent on any of the remote target machine that you may wish to backup/restore.

Please carry out local installation of remote agent on the suspected machine and let us know the result of the same.
You may refer to the following technote :- How to perform a local installation of the VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) Remote Agent for Windows Servers or the Advanced Open File Option http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/258982.htm

Once you carry out the above step, please refer to the technote mentioned below in order to confirm is remote agent is properly installed on the target machine .

Title:- How to confirm if the VERITAS for Windows Servers or a complete edition of VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) is installed on a remote computer http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255137.htm
---------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As an additional information, kindly refer the following technote as well.
1) Title:- No license is required to protect Windows XP computers with VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/245171.htm

2) Title:- Important information regarding Backup Exec for Windows Servers and Windows XP Service Pack 2 http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270139.htm

3) Title:- One Remote Agent for Windows Servers license is included with all Backup Exec agents that require the license.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262170.htm

We hope this helps.