cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License Violation ?

DCDetector
Level 3

We have the licensed Backup Exec 2012 and I have been doing backups, from one server with Windows server 2008 where BE is installed, of our file server which is Windows server 2003. Now all the sudden it fails with a License Violation saying A Agent for Windows license is required for protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec.

Please contact your vendor for information on protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec.

Before you can back up this resource(\\WPLNSHR04\D:), you must purchase and install a license key for the appropriate Backup Exec agent.

Any idea what happend? It had been working fine for several months.

Thanks

Backup.jpg

18 REPLIES 18

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

did you perhaps use a trial license to test backups of an application and let that expire?

Have you tried to remove the license file and then re-add it?

Thanks!

DCDetector
Level 3

I'm trying to remember but It seems to me I downloaded and installed the trial version but licensed it well within the trial period.

I have not removed the license files and re-added. Not sure how that is done.

Thanks

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

60 day evaluation timeout either because you have not entered a remote agent license or because you have but then did not tick the box in the screen after the licensing screen that applies the license to the server

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Check below on how to remove the file:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH188088

Then you'd simply re-add it...

Thanks!

DCDetector
Level 3

Here is what my license information shows

Backup1.jpg

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

DC, 

To remove and reinstall the agent for windows license you could click on the backup exec button in the top left corner of the console, expand installation and licensing and select install options and licenses on this backup exec server. From there take note of the entered license highlight them and remove next through the remaining screen and complete the installation .. once done B.E. will restart services then repeat the process except this time reenter the license number that you previously took not of.. next through and complete the installation once services have restarted reattempt the backup job. 

Additionally you can verify that the licence has been correctly installed by selecting licence information under installation and licensing and verifying that the agent for windows shows licensed and installed.. 

If it still shows unlicensed.. or your unable to find the sn for the license you would need to contact licensing 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42310

DCDetector
Level 3

When I try and remove the license I get the dialog message "Can not delete product license"

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Are you trying to remove the Backup eec 2012 license "This is the product license and cannot be removed" or are you trying to remove the Agent for windows license?

DCDetector
Level 3

This is what I have. Sorry I'm not familiar with the BE setup.

SETUP-NEW-3.jpg

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You may want to contact licensing to verify that you have a valid AWS license... if you would DM me your contact info and i can assist you through this

DCDetector
Level 3

Sent you a DM

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This screen indicates that you do not have any AWS licence, hence you are unable to backup any remote servers after the expiry of the 60-days trial period.

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi DCDetector,

FYI, Backup Exec 2012 is licensed per server.

Based on the screen shot you provided, you only have One license for your Backup Exec server, and a maintenance license.

In order for you to backed-up the File Server runniing on Windows 2003, you need to purchased additional license (BE2012 Agent for Windows).

Please see link below for your reference.

How Agents and Options are Licensed in Symantec Backup Exec 2012 (Portfolio Licensing Guide)http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH178479&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have already said this a couple of hours earlier.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

PKH I also commented on this about 10 hours prior to that... wink... DC and i spoke yesterday and he is in the process of getting ahold of an AWS license..  

DCDetector
Level 3

Big thanks to Don for all his help. Yes I have put in for a quote for a SBE license. Big wheels turn slow. I'm hoping once they realize we are getting no backup until this is done things will move a little faster.

Thanks all!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. You did not point out that the last screenshot shows that he does not have a RAWS license

DCDetector
Level 3

Well looks like the Remote Agent is not part of the SBE. We purchased the SBE, only to get the remote agent license, and now we're being told the remote agent license isn't part of the SBE.