cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License-Warning after upgrading to Backup Exec V-Ray 2014 (second case)

dss_thinktank
Level 4

I have little different kind of situation compared to what was described here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/license-warning-after-upgrading-backup-exec-v-ray-201...

Symptoms:

Each night a warning has been generated that I have exceeded licenses, but I can not understand how and why.

_warning.png

Note! The page behind link provided by message above does not exist.

Installed software is BE2014 + SP1 + Hotfix 225092. Liveupdate does not offer any updates at this moment.

There are 2 vmware hosts. Each host has one 4-core processor installed (second socket exists but is empty) so I have purchaced 2 st. 6 core v-ray licenses. BE2014 v-ray is installed on one of virtual machines. I do not have any physical hosts to backup using BE2014. I have two network shares from nas devices which I do backup with BE2014.

Detected licenses are like below, it is strange that it reports 0 licenses used... why?

_detused.png 

Screen of "Install licenses and option on this backup exec server..." looks like this:

_installed.png

Behind button "Show Removed Serial Numbers" I still can see old plain "BE2014" licenses, which I have "removed" from this server so I conclude they should not be in use anymore.

Are my backups / restore operations somehow compromised at this moment?

How can I fix this situation?

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you backup anything using a traditional agent style backup select list instead of a virtual machine (even if the selection is of part of a virtual machine)?

Basically this alert is a warning for the possibility that you are backing up something that might be a physical system and the v-ray license does not cover physical systems - the simplest way to trigger the alert was however to look for remote agent backups which unfortunately was a bit too simplistic a mechanism for all conditions. It also gave no way to backup the media server itself (which arguably should be an exception to the list of physical systems)

EDIT: TECH article

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH222792

dss_thinktank
Level 4

I have both backup tasks which backup complete virtual server and other tasks which are taking backup from virtual server using selection list. However, targets of the "list backups" are all vmware virtual machines, so everything should be fine because v-ray license should allow that.

Document states ".... and as such should only run virtual agent backups....". Does this mean that the only "supported" way to backup virtual server is to create backup from complete virtual server?

I would agree in case they mean virtual windows server. But for example if virtual server is linux server, then it is not possible to restore individual files from complete backup of virtual server .... so I am forced to backup linux virtual server using BE client and selection list.

Is it problem that BE lists "0" as amount of used v-ray licenses in above screen?

Summary:  I should just ignore the message in this case?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As far as I can tell where you have to use an agent because GRT is not supported for your VM (or because you need to backup some specific files as a one off outside of the complete machine backup), then you can ignore the message, however I must admit that I am not sure Linux systems were discussed when we were advised of this.

dss_thinktank
Level 4

After installing SP2 and hotfix 227745, count of  licenses detected and used are now ok (=2), but I still get warning that I have exceeded installed lisences, which on my opinion is not the case.