cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License for VmWare Agent present but backup fails

Tosk
Level 3

I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 running Backup Exec 2014 with a license for a VmWare Agent.

The server is a media server that takes a backup of three virtual machines on a single host. The disk backup is then dupicated to tape.

The backup from the host to the media server is now failing, but worked succsesfully previously.

The exact error I am getting is:-

"VM- ESXi Backup To Disk then Duplicate to TapeDisk-Incremental 

Final error: 0xe00094a1 - The trial period for Backup Exec or for an agent or option has expired. You must enter the serial number to continue."

The license status reflects this:-

LicenseStatus.JPG

However when I look at the install options and licenses on this backup server, I see the VMWare agent license installed:-

LicenseAddAltered.JPG

Thanks in advance for your attention.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Have you tried to remove the license and then add it back again? If you have, then I'd recommend getting hold of the licensing department and asking for another license, and then importing that.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Have you tried to remove the license and then add it back again? If you have, then I'd recommend getting hold of the licensing department and asking for another license, and then importing that.

Thanks!

Tosk
Level 3

Thanks CraigV.

Here are some guesses on my part:-

1) I think the error I'm getting has occured because the trial license for agent for VMWare has expired and I forgot to install the purchased license in time. I started the trial license around mid June of this year and backups started to fail around the middle of this month.

2) And it maybe because I've installed the VMWare agent local to the media server, rather than pushing it onto the VMWare host.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The licenses are always installed on the BE media server. And you cannot install a license/agent onto the host itself.

Remove the license and readd it. Do ensure you proceed ahead with the install prompts till the installation wizard completes. If needed, recreate the backup job and recheck.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

On the license screens that follow the one you posted have you actually applied that license to the server.

Because a Backup Exec installation can  be a license repository for push installs to other servers as well as adding the SLF file into the server (the screen you have posted a shot of) you must specifically confirm that you are installing that license to the server on one of the following screens as well.

Tosk
Level 3

Thanks all.

I reinstalled the license and this looks as it should do now. I'll await the result of the backup this evening. 

I think the problem was down to me where I didn't properly select the original Backup Exec 2014 64 bit media during the license installation process. The media was an ISO file and needed mounting first.