cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License question

Shahin
Level 6

Hi,

We want to upgrade to BE 15, can we upgrade our qurrent Agents licenses? or we have to but new Licsenses?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

As long as you have active maintenance, you can upgrade by requesting new licenses. No need to buy new licenses for your existing servers, only any new servers not currently covered by a RAWS/agent license on your current installation.

Upgrade to BE 15, push-install your RAWS agents out to upgrade them on remote servers.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Depending upon your current version of BE, you can upgrade or you'll have to purchase new licenses. Old versions of BE will require a purchase rather than an upgrade.

Best to contact Licensing Team at  1 (866) 837-4827  and check with them.

CraigV

Hi,

As long as you have active maintenance, you can upgrade by requesting new licenses. No need to buy new licenses for your existing servers, only any new servers not currently covered by a RAWS/agent license on your current installation.

Upgrade to BE 15, push-install your RAWS agents out to upgrade them on remote servers.

Thanks!

CraigV

Also, you need to check the version you want to upgrade from...BE 2010 R3 w/SP$ and up is a direct upgrade, everything else below is a multi-step upgrade.

Stop the BE services and grab manual copies of your Data/Catalogs folders before doing anything in terms of upgrading too. The BE 15 ISO you download should include FP2, but run LiveUpdate after upgrading the media server to install any additional patches, and BEFORE running the RAWS agent push-install.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It does not depend on the current version of your BE. It depends on whether you are on a current maintenance contract or not. If you are on a current maintenance contract, then the upgrade is free. You can get your new agent licences by either contracting the Veritas Licencing department or logging on to www.myVeritas.com

Shahin
Level 6

Hi Gys,

Thanks you so much with all the your info.

Just to be sure BE 15 is the same asBE 2015 right??

I always hate to put an order for license :( always something.

currently we have:

1X Media server 2010 R3 SP4 that is connected to an Dell tape libray (acording to SCL is compatible with BE 2015)

1X Hyper-v Agent (to backup our Virtual servers)

2X Windows Agents to backup our File servers.

1X Exchange 2010 server.

we dont want to use Vray license and currently we dont have support contract, it is not valid anymore.

so If I understan it correctly I have to buy the same licenses as above for BE 2015 right?

Thanks

Thanks

CraigV

BE 15 is BE 15...they changed the name with the follow-up to BE 2014.

All you need to do is request new licenses from Symantec as I mentioned in my first post if you get stuck. Works well if you're not happy doing that on the licensing portal.

Whatever you're licensed for currently you will get in the BE 15 license file.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver

BE 2015 does not exist - the correct name is BE 15 (with an internal / background version of 14.2) individuals do however post on the forums incorrectly using BE 2015 so you do perhaps need to be aware of that.

Just for info: There is also often confusion between 10 and 2010 (2 different versions separated by a few years) and 12 and 2012 (again two different versions separated by a few years)

Basically the recent history of Backup Exec versions is

12.5 (=12.5)

2010 (=13.0)

2012 (=14.0)

2014 (= 14.1)

15 (= 14.2)

Colin_Weaver

Did you check the SCL for the operating system of the Backup Exec (Media) Server as it needs to be 64bit for BE 15 and a lot of 2010 customers get caught out by this when planning updates (as 2010 is often on run on older 32bit hardware with a 32 bit OS or sometimes 64bit hardware with a 32bit OS installed)

Shahin
Level 6

Hi Colin,

yes my media server is 64 bit because I just last week did upgrade our 2010 R2 to R3.

Thank you for the remainder.

Shahin
Level 6

I asked this because I see BE 2015at Gery mattter store and strengly enough they talk about BE 2015:

Symantec Backup Exec 2015 provides comprehensive backup and recovery functionality and protects both physical and virtual environments. With Backup Exec you can use disk or tape backup to protect file systems on Windows, VMware, Hyper-V, Linux and Mac environments.

http://www.greymatter.com/product/Symantec/Symantec-Backup-Exec-Server/1366386

CraigV

Shahin: Their terminology is incorrect...here it is straight from the Veritas website itself:

https://www.veritas.com/product/backup-and-recovery/backup-exec

It is Backup Exec 15...there was a name change.

Thanks!