cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License to Backup a Shared Folder on a Windows Server

Avadar
Level 2
We currently have One Windows Server 2003 SBS with Backup Exec for Windows Small Business Server Edition 11d Standard.
We are planning on adding a new server hardware to house the user files in a Shared Folder, we will need to backup that specific folder only from this new machine, which only contains data files. Do we need a RAWS License for that? or can we just add the Shared Folder to our current Backup Selection?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
It will be added as a network share on the SBS, that is actually located on the new server? right?

You need the RAWS licensed for each remote Windows system, which resources you are backing up.
In that case the RAWS has to be installed on the other server of course to backup the folder as BE will not recognize the network share on the SBS.

please also see:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278628.htm

best regards

Dominik

If this answeres your question, I would appreciate if you mark my post as the solution. Thank you very much!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
It will be added as a network share on the SBS, that is actually located on the new server? right?

You need the RAWS licensed for each remote Windows system, which resources you are backing up.
In that case the RAWS has to be installed on the other server of course to backup the folder as BE will not recognize the network share on the SBS.

please also see:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278628.htm

best regards

Dominik

If this answeres your question, I would appreciate if you mark my post as the solution. Thank you very much!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I'd go for the RAWS agent. This will install the agent allowing comms between your media server and that server, as well as Advanced Open File Option (bundled with RAWS now) which will allow backing up of open files.

Avadar
Level 2
AOFO is really not needed since the Backup only happens at night, when no one is using the files; but I believe the answer was given, Thanks.