Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing, CPS

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

I've never had an interest in CPS, I frankly just never found it useful.

We went to purchase a license for a media server, and our wholesaler (we are a reseller) advised you can't can't buy the product any more unless you buy the :

Backup exec 11d with CPS

Edition. So we did, because it was promised to me that we could simply choose not to install the CPS.

Later it came to my attention that your serial number determines what agents get installed. I don't want CPS and its ten services wasting memory on my server, is there a way around this?

More importantly, is it really impossible to buy the base product any more?
3 REPLIES 3

Adam_McRen
Level 2
I may be wrong, but based on the installation that I just did, the answer to you question should be yes. 

There are two installations required to enable CPS.  
BEWS_11D.7170_32BIT_Install is the base install of 11d.  After that is installed, BEWS_11D.7170_CPS_32BIT-X64_Install is the add-in for CPS, which seems to be it's own thing with it's own console.  In other words, you dont setup CPS jobs in the Backup Exec 11d console. 

The only time it seems to be an integrated portion of the Backup Exec server is for Exchange jobs that you designate for continous protection.  I dont know if there are separate remote agents anymore, but you are required to have the AWS (and no, dont know what that stands for) remote agent (at least that was the word from tech support) with it's serial number to install and use CPS (that agent serial number is the serial number that is required when you do the actual install of CPS).

So bottom line is that you may just end up paying for CPS via the remote agent, even if you dont install or use the CPS server installation.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Thanks for the assistance.
So at least we know it's not going to negatively affect our server. Now if only I could understand why sales are refusing the sell the base product withotu CPS any more, we'll have this sorted.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Josh,

From my understanding CPS is just a free license they give you with the BE license now.  It's not that they are forcing you to purchase it, it's just the only way it comes now.  If you don't want to use CPS, don't install it.  As the previous poster said it is a seperate CD.  You do not have to have CPS on your media server for Backup Exec to work. 

Now if they are forcing you to buy agents for CPS then we may have an issue.